Thursday, April 27, 2023

Flight of Lights and Movie Review

 

Yesterday I went to an awards ceremony for our college; I was invited because I'm on the committee that chose the winners. People have to nominate you for these awards, and nobody has ever nominated me. Oh well, I get to enjoy all the hors d'oeuvres and camaraderie with my committee members, and I don't have to stand in front of people and make a speech, though the cash bonus would be nice. We committee members really had a good time. 

Then in the evening, Travalon and I went to a movie called Nefarious. This had been recommended by not one, not two, but three different people. It's about a psychiatrist interviewing a man condemned to die for multiple murders to determine if he is insane, but actually he's possessed. At first I thought I'd give the movie a B-, because while it did a good job discussing the evils of the Left, it never mentioned the evils more associated with the Right - for example, if you watched this movie, you would never be told that greed is a deadly sin. Rich told us we had to stay after the credits for a "surprise," which was a super lame part where the demon says something in Latin. That was so worth staying for - NOT. Then, as I thought about it, I decided this movie gets a C-. While I had at first thought it was a missed opportunity to talk about all sins, I have come to realize it was probably made this way by design. It's not an oversight - the makers want to assure right-wingers that they are as holier than thou as they think they are, and that all the Leftists are going to Hell. Sure, people who deny the existence of evil are easy targets for a movie about evil, but if they had any guts at all, they would also go after the people who are committing grave sin while also bragging about what great Christians they are. If this movie was made to try to convince Leftists to examine their evil ways, it might have actually succeeded if it had also highlighted right-wing sin; but now it's just preaching to the self-righteous choir. It's not going to win anyone over. Remember when being a Christian used to mean examining your own conscience, not other people's? 

As promised, here is the movie of the Flight of Lights at the Dane County Regional Airport:


I hope it was worth the wait!


Famous Hat


No comments: