Monday, May 15, 2023

Animatronic Archaeologist and Y-Shaped Crucifix

 

Yesterday it rained all day, so we didn't go back to the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge. (Plus, I found a tick on me and Travalon found another one on me Saturday night, but he was apparently spared.) I was going to narrate this story interspersed with photos, but of course Blogspot loaded them in the opposite order that I requested, so I'll just tell the story first and then explain the photos.

We went to the restaurant in the resort for breakfast, but they told us a group of six were coming in a quarter of an hour, so they couldn't serve us. Huh?? We went to a Dunkin' for breakfast, where they talked me into getting the breakfast wrap instead of the sandwich I wanted. Friends, do not bother with this breakfast wrap - it is literally just a few scraps of egg and cheese in a flour tortilla that has been microwaved. At least it's hardly any calories according to my diet app, which makes sense because it's hardly any food. Oddly, they didn't talk Travalon out of the sandwich he wanted. Then we went to St. Paul's in New Lisbon for Mass. They have a very interesting crucifix that is more of a Y-shape than a T-shape. They had flowering plants for all the mothers for Mother's Day, and as we were leaving, the priest said I should take a plant. I said I'm not a mother, and he said, "Are you a godmother?" I said yes, so he said, "Take a plant," so I did. We thought we might give it to Travalon's mother, but then we figured it would get better care sitting on the table on our porch.

The weather still hadn't cleared up, so we wanted to go antiquing, but we didn't want to go to the same place in Baraboo that we always go to. There was supposed to be an antiques mall in the Dells, but the spot is now an axe-throwing place, so we asked at the Visitors' Center nearby. The woman there suggested the antiques mall in Baraboo, but then she mentioned there's a huge flea market in Adams, so we headed there. Maybe it was because of the rain, but there was only one vendor there; it's an outdoor flea market, so not conducive to rainy day antiquing. We found a smaller antiques shop, where we bought some fancy soap, a print of sandhill cranes, and some homemade lemon cookies. Then we headed back to the Dells and thought, on a crappy day, why not check out the upside-down White House we have always been curious about? It's called Top Secret, and this woman asked us what was inside. We said, "We have no idea, but it's raining out and this costs $5, so we thought we'd check it out." She decided to check it out with her husband and two small boys. It had some convoluted story about robots taking over and so somehow the White House ended up stuck in the Wisconsin Dells upside-down. We wandered through rooms with the furniture nailed to the ceiling until we got to the alien autopsy room, which made us laugh... and then we saw the gorilla in a jail cell with money all over, and then we really lost it. Travalon took photos.

After all that, we still needed steps, so we went to the Baraboo Antiques Mall after all. And guess what? I found several beautiful rosaries and some jewelry, all 70% off.

We went to the antiques mall in Sauk too, and I found three more rosaries, but I wanted to come back with my gift card. They know me there, so they were happy to put them on layaway. I'll get them when I go to my gig on Saturday.

Speaking of gigs, we had a really taxing band practice last night. Part of it was that our bass player thought the chords for "Georgianna Moon" were wrong, and it turns out they were, but the guitarist and I were playing different wrong chords from the accordion player. I said, "No wonder I have always hated this song!" It sounds much better when we are all playing the same chords... and they're the right chords! Once again Hardingfele wasn't there, so I played melody a lot. I really need to start bringing the fiddle to band practice - at this rate, I'll have to play it at the gig, and I haven't practiced on it at all.

Here are photos from Top Secret.









Why is this part right side up? I'm telling you, Top Secret is random!

This is an animatronic archaeologist digging up... something.

I think this is supposed to be the Oval Office upside-down.

Here are the fancy soaps from Adams. The cactus one smells amazing. Wish I could post smells...

Here is the flowering plant I got at the Mass in New Lisbon.


Check out the weird crucifix in St. Paul's that looks like a Y, not a T.

Watch this space for photos of the rosaries I'll be getting from Sauk. They are very beautiful too.


Famous Hat


No comments: