Saturday, May 27, 2023

Houseboat on Old Man River


This morning Travalon and I set off, and we took a hike around Salmo Pond. I fired up the Merlin app, and it told me that a really cool birdsong that almost sounded like the background of a hip hop song was a Baltimore oriole. It had this jazzy syncopation and everything. Then we drove to Cuba City and stopped at the antiques shop we had been to before, where I found a crystal and a vintage hat, and Travalon got a clock with Tom from Tom and Jerry on it. We went to another one where I got a couple of Beanie Baby bears and Travalon got a plastic cat that says, "Hey man, what's up?" Then we drove to Hazel Green and stopped at another antiques shop, where Travalon got a book of movie posters from the 1920's, 30's, and 40's, but I didn't find anything I wanted.

In Galena we went to Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub and sat in the beautiful snug.


I love the glasswork! We both had the pan-seared snapper, which comes with a tomato and crab relish, mashed potatoes, and seared spinach. It is truly one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten in my life. We stopped at an antiques shop just outside of Galena, where I got a couple of rosaries, a small ring holder, and a really cool necklace, all for hardly anything. 

We got to Sabula, Iowa, the small town on an island in the middle of the Mississippi where we have often come on Memorial Day Weekend, and we got situated on our houseboat, which is very nice except for the sliding door that doesn't open easily, and the fact that there is no way to lock it. Then we drove to Savannah, Illinois for Mass at 5:30 at St. John the Baptist Church.


Here I am wearing my new vintage hat and a necklace I got at the restaurant's gift shop, in front of a really pretty stained glass window.


We got some groceries and picked up dinner at Subway, since lunch had been our fancy meal, then we ate a picnic at Driscoll's Island, a tiny island just big enough for a picnic table and some people fishing. We have seen lots of birds from it before, and this time we saw an egret and some cormorants flying, but Travalon didn't have his camera ready. Then we took the groceries back to the houseboat and took a walk along a causeway, where we saw four pelicans. Travalon took photos with his good camera, but somehow I didn't bring the adaptor to put them onto my computer, even though I was sure I had, so those will have to wait until we get home. Weirder still, photos we took of each other on the boat haven't downloaded from the Cloud, but later photos did. This would be the perfect boat for me: Hattitude!


Midnight Splash, is that you? It has a different name, but it looks just the same.


Here is a photo of the glorious sunset over the marina.


None of our photos of us sitting on the boat have downloaded from the Cloud yet, but this one did, of the boats around us at twilight.


And here is a photo of Venus seemingly caught in a contrail.


There are a bunch of houseboats that the marina rents out on this pier, and the proprietress calls it "Boatel Row." We sat out on the bow of our boat and enjoyed the sunset, and watching a train go by. We talked a little to the women on the next boat, who are from Iowa City. They thought we had so far to come to get here, but it turns out they aren't much closer. I see a lot of Illinois license plates, so there are probably a lot of Chicagoans around too. Anyway, I can't get a video of Travalon ringing a big bell to work, and my other photos aren't downloading from the Cloud, so it must be time to call it a night.


Famous Hat

No comments: