Thursday, May 11, 2023

Nine Wonderful Years

 

Yesterday was our ninth wedding anniversary. I didn't blog because after work Travalon and I met at the Arboretum, which is where he proposed, although we didn't go to that spot. We stayed in the Longenecker Garden with all the blooming crabapples, magnolias, and lilacs. Here are some photos. You can see that I'm wearing my wedding color of coral. One cool thing about the date of our wedding is that the saint of the day is Damien de Veuster, and his birthday is the same as mine! That isn't why I picked the day, but what an interesting coincidence. If we'd gone to Hawaii for our honeymoon, that really would have been a crazy coincidence!!






I asked Travalon what he wanted to do after that, and he said let's try Ollie's, the new restaurant where Liliana's used to be. It's the same owner, but it's a different concept, more casual. We ate outside and had the Dad Joke Pizza, because it's super cheesy. It was so good! We told the waitress that it was our anniversary, and she brought us a free chocolate mousse with berries, also really good. Then we went home to watch our wedding video, but the DVD player in the TV no longer works, and neither of our new computers has a DVD slot, so Travalon ran to the store and got one for $35 so we were able to watch the video. Here is a photo my uncle took as we were going down the aisle just after the wedding.


One of the faculty at work, for whom I have been arranging a LOT of travel, brought me back this lovely tile from Portugal.


Also yesterday, I went for a walk at Allen Centennial Gardens. This maple tree seems to be half dead, but the half that is alive is a very impressive red.


This flower is called a Lady Tulip, according to my phone.


And I just thought these tulips outside of the Horticulture building were so pretty.


Also, someone drew a sea dragon on the sidewalk.


Bonus photos: Travalon must have taken these from the dock. First, geese parading down our neighbor's dock.


A male blue-winged teal.


The male and his mate.


A pair of coots.


Today I had a meeting after work, so I asked Travalon to wait at Union South until I was done. By the time the meeting got over (and I was re-elected Secretary for at least the third year in a row), all the food places in Union South were closed, so we started to drive home and thought about where we could stop on the way. I suggested the Colombian restaurant I'd been to with Cali and Jilly Moose, so we went there, and they were still very much open - in fact, a band was playing when we first got there. They were awfully loud, but they finished up just after that, and then the restaurant played cumbia music in the background, at a much more tolerable level. We got empanadas, and Travalon got the half chicken with beans and plantains, while I got the quarter chicken with beans and plantains. I could have gotten an eighth of a chicken - I brought half mine home for lunch tomorrow, as well as Travalon's beans, since he didn't really like them that well. This was the best chicken ever - it tasted like it had just been slow roasted over an open fire. So delicious! And the plantains and beans were super delicious too. Travalon gives this restaurant two enthusiastic thumbs up.


Famous Hat


No comments: