Tuesday, May 30, 2023

More Photos from Our Sabula Trip

 

Today I had to work on campus because of a meeting, and next week I might have to be there a lot for interviews, if the Chair of our committee can't make it. (I'm the Vice Chair.) My coworker looked as groggy as I felt this morning when we ran into each other at the coffee machine. There isn't too much to say about my workday, so I'll mention some things I forgot to say earlier.

This is crazy, but when I posted the photo of what I think is a female ring-necked pheasant that was standing in the middle of the road at Horicon Marsh, a guy responded to my post with his own photo, saying, "I think we saw the same bird!" He was the guy going the other direction who was totally blocked by the bird! How crazy is that? I am kind of bummed that we can't post Travalon's beautiful photos of the indigo bunting on the bird site, because it's specifically for Wisconsin birds, and we saw the bunting in Iowa.

On the way to Sabula, we took that Highway H that Cecil Markovitch accidentally took back when we went to a spaghetti dinner in Ridgeway. It was beautiful then, so we had wanted to see it when the foliage was back, and it didn't disappoint. It looked like an enchanted fairy tale road, with the green hills and a lovely little white church that turned out to be Catholic. However, the Dairyman's Daughter said that church is only used once a year now. I hope that isn't the fate of our church!

Here are more photos from our trip. This is a Station of the Cross at St. Donatus.

Here are some photos from my cellphone. First, the inside of St. Donatus. 



These photos are from the Dubuque Arboretum. I've never seen a purple-leaved redbud before.






Here are more photos from Travalon's good camera. These are the pelicans and a heron during the sunset on Saturday evening.





And also, a very long train.




These are some photos from Eagle Point Park in Clinton.





Here are some shots from Mississippi Palisades State Park in Savannah.



We saw this interesting woodcarving in Savannah, right near the church.


And some more shots of Havencrest Castle.



Here are more photos of the koi pond in the Dubuque Arboretum.





And some pretty white flowers they had there.


Now for more photos from my cellphone. Here are my two crystals from Galena under blacklight.


This is Baby Simba from The Lion King.


Here I am with the Chickicorn, my bracelet from the Dubuque Arboretum, and my T-shirt from Clarkco State Park in Mississippi, all glowing under blacklight. We decided to call the chickacorn Sherbetta because she is kind of sherbet-colored, and I wanted something to capture the child's birthday party vibe of a unicorn chicken in neon colors. Travalon thought of sherbet, and that was perfect.



And these are the two Beanie Baby bears I got in Cuba City. The one on the right is Peace Bear, kind of faded, and the one on the left has a design drawn by a five-year-old girl who died of AIDS when she had just turned seven.


I wanted to post a video of the koi in a feeding frenzy, but it's taking too long to process. Maybe I'll make a YouTube video with all the videos we took on this trip, so watch for that possibly happening.


Famous Hat


No comments: