Monday, September 18, 2023

Is That on Defeat Drive?

 

Happy birthday to Jilly Moose!! I hope it was a great day for you! Today was not a very exciting day for me; I worked on campus and got grief about daring to take two days of vacation. But I do have some photos to share from Travalon. First are some animals at the petting zoo where we stopped on the way home from Holy Hill. These chickens look like miniature cassowaries!


I love the alpacas' haircuts.



Here I am at Cherokee Marsh on Thursday.


These are photos from the park in Chicago.




This is the Australian restaurant: Barangaroo's Aussie Pies.


Here I am eating my pie! It was chicken and (Jilly Moose, don't read this part) mushroom. You can see the Australian sodas in front of me. Mine was blood orange, and Travalon's was lemon-lime.


This photo of me at the bar with the aquariums is kind of cool, but there are weird shadows on my face.


You can see how underdressed I was for such a swanky place. There was a fish in the tank with a long snout who was about the same indigo as this photo, or as Niko, who kept coming over and looking at me. Then when I would look back, it would swim away... but it would be back looking at me again. Maybe it liked my sea foam green hoodie.

Some things I forgot to mention: when we took the Lambeau Field tour, our guide asked who the original teams were, and I said, "The Cardinals, the Bears, and the Packers." He was stunned - he said, "NOBODY ever gets the Cardinals! You should go on Jeopardy! I wouldn't want to play against you in Trivial Pursuit!" But he did stump me later with a question about who blocked for Bart Starr's quarterback sneak in the Ice Bowl. (I guess it was Jerry Kramer?)

When the middle boy was rowing the boat on Thursday evening, the oldest one was singing at the top of his lungs, and he shouted some random thing, so I said, "That's like saying, 'I didn't run over a cat today,' or, 'It's not my fault the sun set.' You know, something everyone assumes so you shouldn't have to say it." So then he was shouting: "I DIDN'T RUN OVER A CAT TODAY! IT'S NOT MY FAULT THE SUN SET!" So much for anyone hoping to enjoy a peaceful evening on the lake...

I found a news story about the crash we saw Friday morning on the way to Green Bay. It said there was a pedestrian hit by a semi, which would explain why there was a sandal in the road, and then another sandal further down the road. The pedestrian was dead at the scene, but the question remains: why would there be a pedestrian on the highway? He was right around my age, so you'd think he'd be old enough to know better. Either he was trying to kill himself, or his car broke down and he was walking along the highway to get help. It didn't say his name, just his age and that he was from Appleton. 

When we were trying to find the restaurant in Green Bay, I said it was on Victory Avenue, and Rich asked, "Is that near Defeat Drive?" So then we were thinking of other roads in the area, like Blowout Boulevard and Shutout Street and Annihilation Avenue. Later I said something was a Perfect something road - Perfect Pine Road? Rich do you remember? - so that could be another road in this totally bizarre subdivision we are not at all planning to build.


Famous Hat

No comments: