Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Photos from Travalon's Trip

 

Today I had to take the bus using the new system for the first time, plus I was getting a haircut, so it wasn't the usual bus on my way home. I looked it up, and the C bus would get me to the hair salon well before my appointment... but that was assuming it came on time. As I waited at the bus stop fifteen minutes past the time it was supposed to come, several of us started wondering where it was, and one guy said, "The C bus before this one never came either." Finally it came, and I sent messages to my hairdresser to let her know I was running late. I got there about ten minutes late, which didn't seem so bad - the bus driver must have made up some time. To my surprise, the place was locked and dark - had my hairdresser already left? I knocked on the door, and she opened it and said, "I forgot you were coming! I was just about to leave!" Man, what a bummer if I hadn't gotten a haircut after all that! Afterwards I walked up to the Square to catch the B bus back to the park and ride where my car was waiting, but I was tempted to stay and listen to a Latin jazz band playing at the top of State Street. I could just hear them from the other side of the Square. However, it was starting to rain, and I had stuff to do at home, so I got on the next B bus that came by.

Here are some photos I never got around to posting. These first couple are from that "secret club" I'm in. I had to create a tableau with the two rubber duckies they sent me and a third creature. Here they are with the Pizzasaurus in front of a waterfall.


Here they are in front of the Monona Terrace.


And these are the two rosaries I got a couple of weeks ago in Sauk.


And these are Wolfie and Wendy, the mascots of the Wolverhampton Team from the English Premier League. Travalon is really into British soccer right now, and he wants you to know that Wolverhampton is just outside of Birmingham. (In the UK, not the place in Alabama where I lost a fight with a statue.)


As promised, here are some photos from Travalon's trip up north. First, photos of Chute Pond.







Next are some photos from Cathedral of the Pines, some of the oldest pine trees in the state.






Travalon's college buddy is a literal treehugger!


And here is Travalon.


Here are photos of Long Lake.



Here are photos of Knowles Creek.



And finally, some old Mobile memorabilia, since Travalon loves old gas station signs.




Travalon and I hope that you enjoyed these photos. He says there is a story behind the Cathedral of the Pines: "It is a magnificent stand of over 200-year-old pines. The Connor Lumber Company would clear cut the trees, but Mrs. Connor taught her children to read by taking them to this section of the woods and teaching them to read the Bible. She thought of the place as a spiritual place and begged her husband to let it stand. To please her, he did just that, and it stands to this day. This area of the forest is beautiful any time of the year. In the spring, it's home to a rookery of blue herons. They build their nests at the top of the pine trees, nearly 200 feet in the air. As the little birds hatch and grow, one can hear a virtual concert in the forest as they make many complex sounds." 


Famous Hat

No comments: