Saturday, September 30, 2023

Hanging Out with Jilly Moose

 

This morning Travalon, our neighbor, and I went to a new French bakery, where we got fresh-baked croissonts, then we met Jilly Moose at Jiffy Lube for coffee and sat outside. It was a beautiful day. Our neighbor had to head to her son's barbecue, but she lent her pickleball equipment to Jilly Moose and me, and we played in the midday heat. We weren't particularly good, and one of the cranes was watching us. Every time I said something about "the crane is watching us," it perked up like it knew I was talking about it. I don't know where its mate was, and I'm not here to be judged on my pickleball game by modern-day dinosaurs. Then again, our mailman also could see us because he was pulled over across from the tennis court, and unlike the crane he could tell people how badly we play. 

Then Travalon joined us for a walk on Governor's Island, and we saw a lot of boats in Three Foot Bay. It was such a hot day that I thought swimming sounded like a great idea, but we didn't end up doing any swimming. We did get lunch at Athens Grill, then Travalon headed off to Milwaukee to meet with his old teacher and see Ringo Starr, while Jilly Moose and I went to Cherokee Marsh to take another walk. Even though it was shady there, we were still very hot. The flavor of the day at Culver's was midnight toffee, and I told Jilly Moose that is their very best flavor, so we stopped and got some. As we sat in the air conditioning enjoying it, we saw my neighbor's vehicle drive up. She came in and got four pints of custard, including one of midnight toffee. She said, "I heard you mention that it was the flavor of the day today, so I had to stop." Darn right! It's very dark chocolate with a hint of coffee, and then chunks of toffee mixed in.

Jilly Moose wondered where we could see deer, and I said I often see them in the woods across from the bluff near my house. We went there and took yet another walk, but we didn't see any deer today. By then we had walked over seven miles, so we just went back to my place and chillaxed on my porch with some refreshing iced tea. A lot of the people we know were at a eucharistic congress, but we didn't register in time to go to that. However, I'd rather have been hiking through the woods like we did on such a lovely day. Soon it will be cold out, so we have to take advantage of this warm weather while we still can.

Here is a photo our neighbor took of a maple tree at Devil's Lake.


And here are some cute mushrooms she saw there.

Jilly Moose says there is a very pretty tree she sees changing colors outside the window of her new apartment, so if she sends me a picture of it, I will post it. From her description, I'm guessing it is another maple. I just love maples in the fall!


Famous Hat


No comments: