Sunday, September 10, 2023

Jordan Love's First Regular Season Game

 

Today Travalon and I went to Oconomowoc to see his mother and two oldest brothers. The oldest one sails a lot, and he said what I should do is volunteer to be a crew member on a racing team, since I know a little about sailing, and then I'd get to be on a boat with the spinnaker up. His mother taught us how to say "I love you" in Croatian. Then we went to Mass at Holy Hill, which was very lovely, and of course afterwards I bought a rosary in the gift shop. I wasn't going to, but then I thought, "If they have a sea foam green one..." Which they didn't, but they had a hunter green one with Our Lady of Guadalupe medals for the Our Father beads that somehow really spoke to me. The cafe there was open, so we had a simple, late lunch and then headed back to Madison.

We got home just after the Packer game started, so we listened to the first few minutes in the car. I really wanted Jordan Love to have a good game for his first regular season game. The first half was brutal, and the Pack were up, but only by a point at halftime. We took a vigorous walk on Governor's Island, since we hadn't had much exercise all day, and in that time the Packers managed to get two touchdowns. I understand Aaron Jones got both of them. We taped the game, so I can go back and watch them. (Travalon already did.) Then as we watched, Quay Walker got a beautiful interception and ran it way down the field for a pick six. Also, their kicker got another field goal that was over 50 yards. Wait, maybe that was just before halftime, so then they were up 10-6. Anyway, they ended up beating the Bears 38-20. In Soldiers Field. As the Packers announcer, Wayne Larivee, said, "Aaron Rodgers still owns the Bears, but he seems to have subletted them to Jordan Love." A fantastic win!!

On the way to band practice, I ran into some road blockages because of the Ironman Triathlon, so I called Hardingfele to say I'd be late. She wasn't even bothering to go to band practice, so I played melody on my mandolin, since there was only one fiddle there. We practiced the Ukrainian music from our last gig, then we practiced klezmer music, and then we did rags, but those are hard so we were struggling with them late in the practice. We should have done them right away. On the way home I was exhausted... and then I kept running into road blockages because of the triathlon. The French apparently invented triathlons, but they also called them "the race of those sick in the head." Sounds about right.

Here are a couple of photos from yesterday. This gourd at the Farmers' Market looked like a green swan.


This is Tiffy's chocolate mousse. She blew the candle out before I could take the photo.


And it's always a good time for Duolingo bragging!


Sorry, no photo of the rosary yet. I will try to take a photo of it, and the other green one I got a few weeks back at the Sauk antiques shop, soon. Maybe tomorrow?


Famous Hat


No comments: