Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Annual Evaluation, i.e., Yearly Career Path Reconsideration

I had my annual evaluation this afternoon, and it will come as no surprise to my regular readers that I was given an average score in most categories but a "below average" overall, and - OK, this did surprise me - in the area of Creativity.  Another perplexing point:  the actual part of my job that matches my job description is the part everyone seems to agree that I do very well.  (Though far be it from my supervisor to designate me as "very good" in any category, and "excellent" is definitely out of the question.)  Opinions on my performance were carefully collected from those, like hubie, who think I suck rocks, but definitely not from anyone who would actually have had anything positive to say about me.  (Though to be fair, when I pointed this odd discrepancy out, my supervisor did admit it was a discrepancy and even went as far as saying these other people might be consulted, though of course it is too late for their good opinions of me to show up in my personnel file.)  Just to add to the general air of "my life is scripted by a sadistic sit-com writer," as soon as I got back to the office, my office mate Light Bright pointed out that I had a huge wad of spinach stuck between my front teeth. Smoooooth. (Please know that this does not reflect badly on Light Bright; she was not in the office before my torture session and so could not give me a thorough inspection.  I wouldn't want my readers to think that she knew the spinach was there but didn't say a word until after I had faced down my enemy.)

I'd care more if I took this thing at all seriously.  However, it did start me thinking once again about going back to school.  My first stab at graduate school was expensive and disappointing, but it might be time to revisit the idea.  Here are some things I am considering and I would be interested in knowing what you, my readers, think:

PhD in Music Theory
PhD in Botany with a focus on genetics
MS in Sustainable Organic Production

The last one has two advantages:  it would take less time (and presumably less money), and it seems more likely to lead to some sort of career after graduation.  However, I probably have the most background in the first one.  Your thoughts?

Here is a rendition of my annual review, if I were discussing it with my nonexistent British coworker.





Famous Hat

3 comments:

Famous Hat said...

From Luxuli:

Brava! both for the clip (I like the irony & suspense) & for the decision to go back to school ~ I vote for best market demand & shortest path. Music theory wounds like your passion, you might finish the fastest and find yourself in demand (?).

Hardingfele said...

I love the clip. Hmm there are a lot of music PhDs working as cab drivers and secretaries, so you would basically be at square 1. Maybe with the interest in green technology, the MS will be faster and easier to get a job. Check out MATC biotech program. You could become the plant house sitter. People would pay you to take care of their plants, although that probably will not pay much. How about giving your supervisor an annual review and rating them below average in various categories and above average in scheming and duplicity :-)

Famous Hat said...

I know, right? In the private sector I got to rate my boss! Totally bogus that we have no way to provide feedback on their performance here.