Saturday, May 7, 2011

As Stumped as the Mariachi

Regarding my previous post, here are some answers to questions readers have asked me:

Q:  Why are there two of everything?
A:  No deep reasons, just one practical and one aesthetic reason.
     The practical reason is because then you cannot see my hand holding the object. I was using the "mirror" camera in Photo Booth, and my hand was "behind the mirror," so to speak.
     The aesthetic reason is that everything is is thirds so it is as if there are two singers, violinists, and trumpets.  I realize this makes less sense with the mandolin, since it naturally plays in chords, so there should only be one mandolin. But it's easiest to have everything match.

Q:  What is that song?
A:  Most of it, I have no idea.  The tune seems familiar, so it might be a real mariachi tune.  If anyone can identify it, let me know.  The words are all mine.  The short, minor-key interlude with the horns is "Riu, Riu Chiu" done in 3/4 time.  That's why it sounds familiar and yet odd.

Q:  Do you play the trumpet?
A:  No, I played the trumpet part on a keyboard and then set it to "trumpet" in Garage Band.

Q:  Where did you get the little instruments?
A:  The little violin was a Christmas present from my parents, years ago.  It has a chin rest and a bridge, but they both fell off and I'm not 100% sure where they are right now.  The mandolin I bought for myself from the gift shop at the hospital where I work.  It's a music box, but offhand I can't remember what it plays.  The little trumpet is a Christmas ornament that Hardingfele let me use.  (Thanks, Hardingfele!)  I removed the red bow with holly and jingle bells, figuring that did not go with this song.

Q:  What is that... dog thing?
A:  One year for Christmas, my parents gave me a large box all wrapped up, and when I took the paper off, it was the box for a space heater.  I thought that was a great gift!... but they said, "Open it!"... and inside was that Chihuahua in a sombrero and poncho.  It used to sing "Feliz Navidad," but currently the batteries are dead, and oddly enough I have had no particular desire to replace them.

Q:  Does everyone know "Riu, Riu Chiu"?  I only know it because we sang it in choir back in high school.
A:  I have no idea if this song is common knowledge.  It seems as if everyone I talk to is familiar with it.  It is an old song, from the Renaissance, and maybe is not popular in Latin American countries.

Q:  How did you know how to make a song that sounded like that?
A:  I used to play in a mariachi-style band.

Q:  The credits go by so fast!  What do they say?
A:  Sorry about that.  I was running short on time and didn't change the scrolling credits from the default of four seconds.  All they say is that I sang and played the violin, mandolin, and "trumpet," and I thanked Hardingfele for letting me use the little trumpet.

Hope that clears up some of the mystery apparently surrounding "Stump the Mariachi."

Famous Hat

No comments: