Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tender Radiance

A few years back, when Tiffy and I were talking about making techno songs, we asked Ethel what she would call a techno song if she made one.  Her answer was "Tender Radiance," and if you knew Ethel, you would realize she meant the love radiating tenderly from God.

Sorry I sound so atrociously white in the first half of this song, but by the time Kathbert gave me some tips to help with that, I had already recorded the harmony and liked that too much to change it.  True confession:  at first I thought the harmony was really weird, but it totally grew on me.  I know it does not sound like modern gospel music, but it does remind me of really old recordings of slave songs.  While I have never been a slave personally (although I have come close at my current job), hopefully nobody is offended that I wrote a sort of old skool spiritual tune.  Or that I used an image of Jesus made on a drum by a Yoruba artist named Lamidi Fakeye.

The second part of the song is trance, and it was inspired by a girl who sat behind me in the Eucharistic Adoration Chapel on Tuesday night, sobbing.  I did not know if I should turn around and comfort her or if she preferred to be left alone, and I don't know the cause of her sorrow, but hopefully this song will remind everyone who sorrows about the tender radiance of God's love.  No matter how great your sin, He still loves you.  No matter how great your pain, He helps you carry your cross.





Famous Hat

No comments: