Saturday, May 14, 2011

Meanwhile, Down at the Almost-Was Tavern...

Just down the road from the Has-Been Saloon, where words like NIFTY and SKIDOO reminisce about the glory days, is the Almost-Was Tavern, where words gather to discuss how close to glory they came.  In one corner, CYNIC and CLINIC bemoan the fact that they were nearly palindromes.

CLINIC:  Just one L, that's all it would have taken.  One lousy L, and I would have been CLINILC.

CYNIC:  I wouldn't even need to change my pronunciation!  I could have been CINIC.  Or better yet, CYNYC.  Oh, hey, NIPPING.  How's it going?

NIPPING:  How's it going??  How do you think it's going?  If GNAWING can have a silent G at the start, is there some reason I can't?  Just imagine the palindromic glory of GNIPPING!

HAH:  I'm a palindrome.

CYNIC:  You're not even a word!  You're just a.... an expression of scorn or something.

HAH:  I count as a word in Scrabble!  Anyway, all of you are closer to being palindromes than PALINDROME is.  And ONOMATOPOEIA doesn't even sound like what it means!  Hah!

And so it goes at the Almost-Was Tavern.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

Huh???? And that is yet another palindrome

Famous Hat said...

Able was I ere I saw Elba.

WV: deati - this is not even close to being a palindrome!