Friday, October 25, 2013

A Rabbit's Life



Sometimes I think the life of a pet must be an ideal one: you don’t have to work, you don’t have to search for your next meal, and you don’t have to worry about predators. Then I wonder: is it boring to sit around all day with nothing to do? And think of the things you never get to try! For example, the three beverages I drink most are water, coffee, and beer. Guess which one of those my rabbits get to drink? They are missing out on all the fun of a caffeine jolt or a beer buzz. They never get to go outside, which doesn’t seem to bother Charlie at all, but Cashmere often gazes wistfully out the window. And if I give them a yummy treat (like chocolate – shh! I am such a bad bunny mama!), they have no way to request it again if they like it, though usually I can tell which things they really like. They can’t tell me to turn off my salsa music when I am working out, but for all I know, they hate salsa. I guess being a pet is a little like being a kid, when you aren’t in control of your own life. I sure don’t miss those days! And you know who else has a life like that, no work and no meal preparation and no freedom? Old people! Maybe I should rethink my goal of living to be over 100. Watching my rabbits get old has been enlightening. Charlie has gotten to the point where he just walks in circles most of the time, and he can’t clean himself very well anymore. Still, he seems very happy, but then he always was a happy rabbit. Now he’s just an old happy rabbit.

Famous Hat

No comments: