Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Last Chance Mass



Sunday I woke up late (since Travalon and I got back to town quite late the night before) and missed the usual Mass I sing at. (I had already told them it was unlikely I would be there.) Then we were watching the Packer game during the 5:00 pm Mass, so we had to go to the Last Chance Mass at St. Paul’s. This Mass starts at 9:00 pm, and there was a visiting priest who gave a very long homily about why we should give money to a particular charitable organization, so we didn’t get out of there until well after ten. Most of the other people were college students, so the priest was talking about how we had the rest of our lives ahead of us. (I’m guessing at this point I’ve only got about half my life ahead of me, maybe sixty percent if the palm reader was right and I live to be 105.) Anyway, we felt like the oldsters there and hid way up in the balcony. St. Paul’s is a weird-looking cement building with balconies on both sides and the altar in the middle, not an attractive church though quite a few people get married and have their wedding pictures taken there. As Travalon noted, there were no windows at all. You kind of feel like you’re in an underground bunker that could withstand a nuclear attack. The rumor is that they are going to redo the church and make it look more like a place of worship, which would be lovely. Meanwhile, I am eternally grateful to them for having the Last Chance Mass.

Famous Hat

No comments: