Thursday, October 3, 2013

Why I Missed Choir Practice


Tuesday evening my former office mate Light Bright and I met for dinner, my treat because her birthday was a couple of weeks ago. (September is a pricy month for me with all the Virgo birthdays: Tiffy, Jilly Moose, and then Light Bright all got treated to a meal.) The reason we didn’t meet closer to her actual birthday is that her husband worked from home for the week for her birthday surprise. (He works out of state during the week and comes home on weekends.) Apparently he arranged this at work by telling his boss, “My wife and I are trying to start a family, and there are some things you just can’t do remotely.” She laughed and let him work remotely for the week. I said that was hilarious, could I blog about it? Light Bright said sure, her husband wouldn’t mind. She also has a great story for another Sock Puppet League episode, so I will try to get that drawn for tomorrow’s post.

Yesterday Travalon and I had another ill-fated appointment to go hot air ballooning. It seemed like a perfect day, but the pilot told us it was too windy, and his next appointment isn’t until December. We are not too interested in going ballooning in the winter, so our flight will probably have to wait until next spring unless the pilot has a cancellation. He told me he should be able to give me a day’s notice if he does. Travalon came to town anyway, and I wanted to show him the island where I used to live, called Pirate Island. (I used to tell people I lived alone on an island, since my apartment was a studio one.) He mentioned that there used to be a New Orleans style restaurant nearby called Bourbon Street, and in fact it was still there, so we went there for dinner and live jazz. It was such a beautiful night that we sat out on the balcony, overlooking the water. The music was provided by the State Street Jazz Collective, who were really good, although we were amused when they did a Jackson 5 song. Does that actually count as jazz? Then we went to the Capital Brewery beer garden to try some seasonal brews, and we ended the evening with some popcorn at the Hilldale Theater – no movie, just popcorn. They have a little cafĂ© where we sat enjoying our popcorn and talking. So sorry that I skipped choir practice, for those of my readers who are in choir, but as you can see, I was quite busy last night.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

beer, food and music. Why not have a picnic in the balloon on a below zero day?!

Famous Hat said...

We did have beer - Abita beer!