Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween! (Post Is Unrelated)



Tuesday I asked could I have the next day off of work, and my boss said no problem. So yesterday Travalon and I drove up to Fond du Lac and took a walk by the lakefront, then we went to Chilton, a small town with a sadly empty Catholic church called St. Augustine. (They consolidated all the Catholic churches into one parish, Good Shepherd.) We grabbed some lunch and took Rodney the dog for a walk, then Rowland’s Calumet Brewery opened up, which is yet another stop from the book. They brew their own beer, so I tried their pumpkin brew while talking with the friendly proprietress. (That must be a word, since Spell Check likes it.) Then we drove to High Cliff State Park for a hike, but unfortunately the day was overcast so we couldn’t really see the breathtaking view of the lake below us. Travalon says we will have to return on a sunny day. Then we drove to Appleton to see not one but two taverns from the book, just a block away from each other. The first one was called Jim’s Place, and it had a very beautiful old bar and a delicious local brew called Stone Arch Scotch Ale. The second one was called Dr. Jeckyll’s, and it had a lovely patio and a very cool P-shaped bar, though I didn’t much care for their background music. (Travalon knows how I hate power ballads!) I wondered what CD they were torturing us with, but then an announcement revealed we were listening to a Pandora station. Must have been the Pandora Power Ballad station. I will not be listening to that Pandora station any time soon! I never bothered to turn my cell phone on, since usually the only one who texts me is Travalon, and he was with me. Of course that meant a couple of coworkers were texting me, not about work, but about Slow Food next Monday. They filled up before I could register – c’est la vie. Then when I got in this morning, I had a phone message at work from someone else wondering if I could register him for Slow Food. Who knew everyone would need to contact me the one time I was gone?

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Travalon said...

One more tavern stop, then we will be officially halfway through the book- 35 out of 70 !