Sunday, May 3, 2020

A Romantic Stroll down Memory Lane


If this quarantine is making us all crazy in different ways, my kind of crazy is getting too involved in the inner lives of large water birds. At Night Prayer last night I feel like they were a bit nonplused by my concern over a lonely whooping crane and an infertile goose, so today I will focus on something maybe a bit more normal to be interested in: my own romantic story. Travalon and I took a very nostalgic walk at the Arboretum, but before that, we flew kites with our neighbor, then we drove out to Sauk, where we saw pelicans by the dam. If I ever come back as a bird, maybe I would choose to be a pelican. They look like they are having the best time soaring over the bluffs and then landing on the water and bobbing around like a bunch of rubber duckies. They were sure enjoying the water currents from the dam!

Then Travalon and I went to the Arboretum, which was still busy but maybe not as crazy as I'd heard it was earlier today. The magnolias are blooming, just like when we had our wedding photos taken there six years ago.




And here is the gazebo at the end of the wetland boardwalk where Travalon proposed to me almost seven years ago.


This is the first thing I saw as his fiancee.


Just below the gazebo these yellow flowers were blooming.


And - sorry, I can't seem to blog lately without mentioning big birds - here is one of the pair of cranes that always nest by the wetlands boardwalk.



These are some azaleas (or maybe rhododendrons) blooming in the Arboretum.


We also stopped by Rich's house to see if the tulips I rescued last year from around the Carillon and in front of the Botany garden were blooming, but only this one was.


However, my grape hyacinths (from the set of blue bulbs I bought from Hardingfele's kid years ago) were going nuts. Here are just a few of them.


And this is a bunch of violets, some purple and some white, growing in Rich's yard. I think they are just "weeds," but I like them.


Flowers are why I love May so much! (That, and the perfect weather.) Here are some from around my neighborhood.







Look at me, MC Hat! Rich enough to have a personalized fence! Just kidding. This is the shadow from the Whaler's Cove gated community's fence.


And here are the cranes who always nest in our neighborhood.



They seem to be as in love as Travalon and I are. Soon we will have been married six years, and they have been the six happiest years of my life.

Famous Hat


No comments: