Sunday, May 17, 2020

Antique Rosaries and a Baby Pelican


It has rained all day today, and it is still raining as I write this. We did get to go to Mass this morning; it was a "secret Mass," by invitation only, but there were about as many people there as on a regular Sunday before the pandemic. Since the weather was so lousy, I suggested we go to the antique mall in Baraboo, which had just reopened, thinking that it was big and we could get a lot of steps inside. I used to find it a bit tedious to go to antique stores with Travalon, but then at the one in Sauk I discovered they had antique rosaries. So we drove to Baraboo in the rain, which was kind of scary, and frankly I wondered what I had been thinking to suggest it. We arrived safely and looked through the whole antique mall, and I found a dealer selling three rosaries. When I asked the woman who works there if anyone else sold them, she said, "I didn't even know this dealer had them." I did spot one other rosary in another case. It's like a treasure hunt - can you find the one specific item you want? Travalon found a stuffed Hamm's bear, so he was very happy. Then we drove to Sauk to see if their antique store had reopened, and first we stopped at the dam. We saw two great blue herons and tons of white pelicans, and there was a strange bird sitting right next to one pelican. At first I wondered if it were some kind of duck, but we had brought our binoculars (but not, alas, our good cameras), so I was able to get a good look at it and ascertain that it was a baby pelican. Why did only one of the dozens of pelicans have a baby? That is a question I cannot answer. The question I can answer is that no, the Sauk antique store has not reopened yet.

Famous Hat

No comments: