Saturday, May 23, 2020

Rainy Day Antiquing


Today I felt very lazy, so I had to make myself go to the co-op to buy little plants and then go to the garden plot to plant them. Travalon, that prince among men, weeded the plot along with me, and as I was weeding among the onions, I accidentally pulled one up. I brought it home and cut it up, and Travalon fried it along with some potatoes, so for lunch we had our first harvest from the garden! I planted kale, chard, and ground cherries, since they did well last year and Travalon will eat them, along with two eggplants. Those did nothing last year, and Travalon says he doesn't like them, but I just wanted eggplants so badly.

Then the weather got bad, so we drove to Oconomowoc (which should not be pronounced Ocka-nocka-mowoc) to go to the antique store. Travalon found a model of the Titanic, and I found a whole bunch of rosaries, including a large one for hanging on the wall that the proprietress told me was half off. I even found two good-sized glow-in-the-dark rosaries that were the same, but one was $12 and one was $35 so I'm sure you can guess which one I got. Then we drove to Waukesha (which should not be pronounced Wah-KEESH-a) to go to another antique mall. This one was huge, and I looked through the whole thing and found three Beanie Baby bears for like $2 apiece (even twenty years ago, they cost more than that), but I was having a tough time finding any rosaries. I vowed that I would buy any rosary I found, no matter how uninspiring... and then I did find a rosary that didn't do too much for me, but it wasn't horrible. Weirder still, I found a good-sized glow-in-the-dark one JUST LIKE the two in Oconomowoc. I found a woman to help me, but we couldn't find the case again because I had just remembered the number and not the color, but she did find me another, kind of odd rosary. Travalon remembered where we found the first rosary, and I would never have found the glow-in-the-dark one again, so I just got that one and the odd one and the Beanie Babies for $20 total. Travalon found a bobble-head of an old Brewer, a figurine of the Warner Brothers singing frog, and a Hamm's Bear sign, so so he was happy. Then we tried to go to two other antique shops, but they were already closed, so we went back to Oconomowoc and had pizza and ice cream. We got to sit in a restaurant for the first time since the pandemic hit, so that was kind of exciting.

Here are pictures of my new rosaries. The big rosary hanging on the back of the chair is the glow-in the dark one.


From left to right are the three I got in Baraboo last weekend, four I got in Oconomowoc today, and on the far right, the two I got in Waukesha today. The picture below is the big rosary I got in Oconomowoc for half off.


Rich asked me if it was my goal to own every rosary in the world, but in fact I left three at the store in Oconomowoc, a little wooden one and a little crystal one, besides the $35 glow-in-the-dark one. Who knows? If it rains tomorrow, we may go antiquing again.

Famous Hat



No comments: