Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Horned... Everything?


What is this weird trend of putting unicorn horns on all sorts of stuffed animals? Of course there have been stuffed unicorns since I was a little girl (I still have one named Maria from when I was seven), and narwhals are a hot commodity right now, but they really exist. In December when Travalon and I went to visit my relatives in Chicago, we found a little dragon with a unicorn horn, and we got it because we have a couple of other dragons. Since dragons (like unicorns) are imaginary, I have no problem with adding a horn to one. But now I see kittens and owls with unicorn horns! What the what?? Where is this trend coming from, and how do we end it?

Going back to my topic yesterday of the shocking greed some people are demonstrating during this current tragedy, I forgot to mention one of the most egregious examples: the small business loans gobbled up by huge corporations. To be fair, a number of them have been shamed into giving the money back, but I recently saw a horrific statistic that 95% of small businesses owned by people of color were denied these loans, and 90% of small businesses owned by women. Partly this is because the big banks prioritized the big companies, since their commission from a $4.9 million loan is much larger than their commission from many $17,000 loans. But where was the oversight? Why was a corporation that owns high-end steak houses getting an enormous loan from a pool that was supposed to be for tiny businesses with less than a dozen employees? I regret to say that I am not shocked that this happened, although the corporations themselves do seem a bit shocked by the backlash against them. Since I don't regularly eat $100 steaks, my boycotting these companies wouldn't make much difference, but you would think they would consider the bad publicity. I am a bit surprised at how open the corruption is nowadays, and how little some people care whether they are considered hypocrites. At long last, have they no decency?

Famous Hat

No comments: