Sunday, May 24, 2020

Schoenstatt Promise


This morning we had to watch the live-streamed Mass again, although apparently next week we will be able to attend in in person. The live-streamed Mass is at 11, so I had time to move some plants out onto our screened-in porch and take a long walk with my neighbor beforehand. Travalon tried to start the boat again, but the motor just will not start, so I suggested going to the antiques store here in town to cheer him up. It was so hot out that being inside of an antiques store sounded kind of refreshing. I wasn't sure I'd find a rosary at this one, but I said that if there was one, I would have to go pray it at the Schoenstatt Shrine, since it is so close to the antiques store. I did find a lavender plastic one for $1.50 (and Travalon found a Road Runner car), so we went to the Shrine to pray the Rosary. The road to the Shrine is torn up but still passable, so that was some excitement. Then we went to Cherokee Marsh for a hike, but there were so many people there that it was hard to avoid them. There were even tons of canoers and kayakers out on the water, and we rarely see people that far back in the marsh. Once the temperature had cooled down a bit, we went to the garden to plant some seeds, but I realized we had forgotten them in the car all day, so they were probably cooked. I planted them anyway while Travalon weeded, and I also planted my three calla lilies. They all came back! One blooms white, one blooms black, and one blooms flame orange. It should be gorgeous if they all bloom at the same time.

If you can stand it, here are some more photos of the beautiful flowers in our neighborhood.

 azalea

 very cool tulip

 more jonquils!

The blooming crabapple trees are so pretty in our neighborhood.



 close-up

First is a photo from a few days ago of this white-blooming crabapple.


This is how it looked this morning - as if there was snow around it!


And this pink crabapple looks like it has strewn rose petals along the driveway.


Here are a couple of random pictures. First is an oil spill that looks like a sea creature.


Next is a mattress that has apparently been discarded after being decorated.


Back to flowers - on our hike at Cherokee Marsh, we saw three Jacks-in-the-pulpit, one of my favorite woodland flowers.


I have flowers at home too! Eventually my phalaenopsis orchid will have eight blooms on this spray. I finally found a use for the little model sailboat we found years ago during Hippie Christmas, when all the students throw away their junk and people find all sorts of treasures. Who knew its mast would make a perfect orchid prop?


Tomorrow is supposed to be thunderstorms all day, so stay tuned for possibly more antiquing adventures, if any stores are open for the holidays.

Famous Hat

No comments: