Friday, May 29, 2020

A Tale of a Scottish Rosary (or Two)


Back on the original Tax Day this year (it's been postponed at least once), I was looking at rosaries online because why? Because rosaries. I found a really cool one-decade one made of green glass with an unusual crucifix depicting the Holy Face of Jesus, and it cost six pounds, so that's like ten dollars. I ordered it, and of course with postage the whole thing was around $24, so shipping was more than the actual rosary, but how often do I order rosaries from Scotland? And the anticipation was exciting, but after two weeks of my package not showing up in the mail, I contacted the seller and asked how long it had been taking packages on average to ship from over there to over here. To my surprise, they had not even shipped the rosary yet, which certainly explains why I hadn't gotten it. A few days later I got an email that my order had been processed, and then some time after that I got another one saying it had been mailed. So again I waited with great excitement.

When two weeks had again passed with no sign of my Scottish rosary, I emailed the seller to ask if there was a tracking number. There was not, but I figured I could give it until Travalon's T-shirt arrives, which he ordered even longer ago. (For some reason it was shipped to China, and now he has no idea where it is.) Yesterday Travalon brought a small box to me, and I was so excited: my Scottish rosary! But when I opened the box and pulled out the rosary, it was nothing like what I was expecting. It was a wooden one-decade rosary with a clay rose for the Our Father bead and a plain cross on the end. You know me, I can get very angry, but my email to the seller was relatively calm. I simply explained that the rosary had arrived, but it was nothing like what I had ordered, so please could they send the correct one or refund me. The seller emailed back and said that was odd, there were two rosaries in the package, so where could the one I ordered have gone? I looked in the box - nothing. Then I remembered that I had opened it over the dining room table, and when I looked there, I found the rosary I had ordered sitting on a cloth napkin. What must have happened is that I had not been expecting two rosaries, so when I pulled one out, I didn't notice the other one slip out, and I didn't hear it because it landed on the napkin, and I didn't see it because the tissue paper it was packed with covered it. So I actually got two rosaries! I did go for a walk in the rain and pray with the wooden rosary yesterday, because even if it wasn't what I was expecting, it's still a rosary so I had to pray with it. I am about to pray with the glass one.

Famous Hat

No comments: