Sunday, July 19, 2020

Hike on the Bearskin Trail


Yesterday morning after I blogged, we got coffee at the Red Canoe, and behind the coffee shop was a path down to Little Saint Germain Lake. I said we had a lot of pictures of lakes, so maybe we should pose in front of the lake to add some interest to the picture. I'll leave it to my readers to decide whether our presence in these photos adds any interest to them.



Then we went into Minocqua and hiked on an old railroad track that is now a biking and hiking trail called the Bearskin Trail. It goes over some old trestle bridges.


 We had a great view of some islands from the bridges.



Here is a picture of the path as it continued on solid ground. We were surrounded by pine trees, and it smelled wonderful!


We also passed a marshy area with lots of white water lilies and yellow cow lilies.



On the shores of the marsh there were lots of wild blueberries! Yum! We indulged in those, just like we enjoyed the wild raspberries at the Turtle Flambeau Flowage. There were also places we passed where the pine trees were very short, just like the taiga in Alaska.


We didn't follow the trail all the way to Lake Tomahawk, but by the time we turned around and got back to the car, I already had my 10,000 steps for the day. Then we drove to the town of Tomahawk and stopped at Sara Park, which we had stopped at on our trip up to the headwaters of the Wisconsin River. We had a late lunch in Wausau at a restaurant called Wow that we had seen on the River Walk; you can sit outside, but it was a very hot day, so we just sat inside and looked out at the river. Our next stop was Lake DuBay for a refreshing swim at the public beach. From there we could see the dam we had stopped at on our trip up to the headwaters of the Wisconsin River. After that we headed home and got in before eight, which is unusual for one of these trips.

My five prayer wheels had arrived, and I thought there could be one for each Rosary Lady. When I spun them, they each had a unique personality that reminded me of one of us; for example, one was loud and squeaky, so that one made me think of me because I am the loudest Rosary Lady.

Today Travalon and I took another walk out to Picnic Point, then we stopped by the East Side Club to see what was going on at the Tiki Bar. They had a Hawaiian food truck, and we had an early dinner since we ate brunch so early. I texted Rich about the Hawaiian food truck, since he used to live in Hawaii, so he joined us around six, but just before he got there, the food truck packed up! I did not see that coming! How embarrassing! Rich enjoyed the beautiful venue overlooking Lake Monona, but eventually he had to go find some food, so Travalon and I headed home too. After all, tonight was my night to host Night Prayer, so it would be bad form to be late.

Famous Hat

No comments: