Sunday, July 12, 2020

Return to White Mound County Park


When Travalon and I went out boating on Friday evening, there was a funny cloud in the sky. You can see it behind him in this picture - it looks like there is a column sticking up out of it.


In our neighborhood, there are these pretty flowers blooming right now. They are called false buck's beard, which seems like a coarse name for such a pretty flower.


Today we had a really fun day. Friday had been the Dairyman's Daughter's birthday, and she wanted to go for a hike at White Mound County Park to celebrate, since Travalon and I had said what a wonderful path there is around the lake. We met her, Richard Bonomo, Kathbert, Cecil Markovitch, the Single B-Boy, and another regular from our Night Prayer group at a church called St. Patrick's not far from the park, and we prayed for some relatives of hers who are buried in the cemetery there. I saw an unusual gravestone that I thought was so pretty, because it was black and shaped kind of like a cathedral window. I checked it out, and it's actually a memorial to unborn children. Here's a picture of it:


Then we went to the park and walked around the lake. Travalon and I had walked clockwise around it, but this time we went counterclockwise, and it seemed to go much faster. Isn't that weird? (I don't think it actually did, judging by the clock.) Know what else is weird? When you see a horse drawn carriage of the type that the Amish use, and tied to the top is a big blue kayak. I had a perfect shot as it was going by, but somehow instead of taking the picture, I locked the screen, so by the time I got that issue solved, it was past me. Here is a picture of it from the back. You can't see the beautiful black horse, but you get the idea.


We went to a chapel called Our Lady of the Field where the original St. Patrick's church used to be (and where the original cemetery still is), and my OTHER choir director met us there. The Dairyman's Daughter's aunt used to make rosaries, but she died and left a bunch of them behind, so the Dairyman's Daughter brought them to this shrine for people to take. She had told me this story, so I was expecting rosaries made with cords like I am trying to make, but these are made with metal links - very high quality for giveaway rosaries! I took a Kelly green one to commemorate the Irish who founded the original church on the spot. I sang Happy Birthday in Basque ("Zorionak") to the Dairyman's Daughter, and everyone commented on what wonderful acoustics the little shrine has. Then we came outside and got a group photo with everyone social distancing. I like how Cecil Markovitch is not that successful at making bunny ears behind the B-Boy due to social distancing.


There were some beautiful snapdragons blooming in front of the shrine.


Then we all went to Culver's in Spring Green for dinner, and after that Travalon and I went back to the park for a short swim. We couldn't stay too long, because I was hosting Night Prayer tonight. And guess who attended? A-Fooze from Edmonton! So that was a lot of fun. I hope she can join us regularly!

Famous Hat

No comments: