Sunday, July 5, 2020

Rosary Making and Picnic Point


Today after Mass and brunch, I went over to OK Cap's house, and she, Jilly Moose, and I worked on making rosaries. I had gotten a kit for $6 to make 50 rosaries, but even making one was a bit of a challenge. It turned out a little funky, and I put the crucifix on it that the owner of the antiques store up in Eagle River gave me for free instead of one of the cheap plastic crucifixes that came with the kit, so I'll keep this one. The beads had looked so pretty in the plastic bag, but somehow on the rosary they looked to me like fish oil capsules.


When Travalon came to pick me up, the other two ladies hadn't yet finished their rosaries, so I can't say how theirs turned out. I did lead a rosary on mine, so it's functional.

Travalon and I went for a walk out to Picnic Point, and we saw this gorgeous view. Unfortunately we didn't think to bring our good cameras, but you get the idea.


Richard Bonomo and Kathbert met us at the tip of Picnic Point, where a female monarch butterfly loved Kathbert and kept landing on her. Here you can see it on the waist of her shorts.


We walked toward Frautschi Point, and when we passed a little beach, we saw this sand sculpture someone had made.


Then we passed a guy sitting on a bench, gazing out at the water, and Kathbert and I both thought, "That looks like Pete the Sailor Man," except he had a beard, sunglasses, and a floppy hat on. Then he said hi to us, and it WAS Pete the Sailor Man! Rich and Travalon hadn't recognized him at all. We asked if he had been out sailing, but the sailing club is shut down right now due to the pandemic, so he was telling us how he was bodyboarding behind his buddy's boat but without a spotter, so the sheriff almost pulled them over. He quickly untied the board and his buddy tossed him a paddle so he could pretend he was paddle-boarding. His buddy was with the boat, and we hadn't seen him at first. It turns out he is a guy I barely know, but I know his wife, and they got married at the exact same time as Travalon and I: 10 May, 2014 at (as Rich would say) 1400 hours. In a different church, obviously. After we had talked to them a bit, we headed for Frautschi Point, and then we passed it, but Rich wouldn't believe us because there isn't a sign. Anyway, it was a beautiful day, and being down by the lake made Kathbert and me realize how much we miss it: her, because she no longer lives by it, and me because I don't see it every day on my lunchtime walks. My boss says we will be going back to the office at some point, but we will each go in one day per week, which is fine with me. While I miss walking on the lakeshore path, I sure do love working from home!

Famous Hat

No comments: