Sunday, July 26, 2020

Janesville and Beloit and a Rainbow


Today was very hot, so Travalon and I took a walk at Pheasant Branch, since it is mostly shaded on the path, and it runs along a creek. There were lots of children playing in the creek, so that was fun to see. We kind of wanted to join them, but instead we drove to Janesville and checked out a couple of antiques shops. I didn't find any rosaries, but at one I did find a January birthday Beanie Baby bear, and Travalon found plenty of stuff. For example, he loves the Flinstones, so he got a sign that says: "The original man cave!" with a picture of Fred Flinstone on it. Then we drove down to South Beloit just over the border of Illinois, because they told us there was an even bigger antiques store there, but it didn't have any rosaries. There was another one across the street - no rosaries, but I found a cute stuffed parrot, and Travalon found a great Hamms Bear sign. Then we went to a park we had passed on the way, along the banks of the Rock River, and we took a walk out onto Turtle Island. We passed some geese eating grass, so I started singing, "I wish I were a goose just eating grass," to the tune of "Arkansas Traveler," and that somehow morphed into gangsta rap songs about various waterfowl.Travalon was at least as good at this game as I was. I said, "It never rained, so I'll have to water my garden plot when we get back," but then I checked my phone's weather app, and right then it was storming in Madison. By the time we got back it was more of a gentle rain, and then as we sat on our porch, the sun came out so I ran outside to see if there was a rainbow. Indeed there was!

Here are some recent photos. First, a stargazer lily and a sunflower in our neighborhood.



Here are some shots of Devil's Lake: the Baraboo quartzite on the hillside, and two shots of the lake itself, including looking toward the crowded beach on the North Shore.




And here are some pictures of the rainbow!




I took these two shots several minutes apart. You can see all the colors in the first one, but as the sun was setting, the reds and yellows are more emphasized in the second one.



And this is a panoramic shot of the rainbow. It worked a little better than the one where a headless Travalon was about to be swallowed by a tsunami on Lake Wisconsin, but the rainbow is a little janky, and the ground is very weird.


Travalon took some good shots with his camera, using different settings.







How about a sepia-toned rainbow? It looks like it's from the nineteenth century!


And I have no idea what this effect is, but it's interesting.


So there you have it - enough rainbow pictures to tide you over until the next storm.

Famous Hat

No comments: