Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Sailing on Lake Michigan


Today I took the day off of work, and Travalon and I drove to Milwaukee for the two-hour sailing trip I had won in the Early Music Now silent auction. We had a very personable captain, and she said I could do the jib sail if I wanted, or we could have a relaxed ride with a better view of the skyline if we didn't put it up, so we chose that option. She did let us each take the tiller for a bit. She said I was doing such a good job that she let me steer us all the way back to the dock, only taking it at the very end for the trickiest part. She said, "You two do know your way around boats!" and I suppose she does see all sorts of people come for a sailing trip, so the fact that we tool around in our little fishing boat all summer, and I took sailing classes for a semester decades ago, gives us an advantage over many of her passengers. It was a perfect day out on the lake. Once we got back to shore, we walked to the kite store and bought a kite. We got one there a few years ago, and we enjoyed it a lot until it met an untimely end in the back of Travalon's car.

Then we drove to Waukesha to visit an antiques store that had been closed when we went antiquing there before. This one had a number of very beautiful rosaries; I felt one was overpriced, but they gave me a discount, and after all a thing is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. It is a stunning rosary. One of the women working there even found two more for me that I had overlooked, and one was so beautiful, with opalescent heart-shaped beads. I didn't buy most of the rosaries there, so anyone looking for antique rosaries, there are still plenty at the Waukesha Antiques Mall. 

On the way home we took a hike on the trails by Rock Lake, then when we got home I took another walk with our neighbor, who had gone on a trip and had such a weird time that she had to tell me all about it.

Here are some photos from our sailing trip.

















As we drove home, we saw little rainbows on either side of the sun.



Then after I got home, my neighbor texted me to say there was a gorgeous sunset.



So it was a wonderful day all around!

Famous Hat

No comments: