Monday, September 21, 2020

More Lotus Seeds and RBG Biopic

 

This evening it was lovely out, but kind of windy, so Travalon and I didn't go into the lake when we took the boat out. We went into the marsh and collected a couple of lotus seed pods, then we went to the patch in the river just before the lake and got another one. We saw our neighbor who sometimes takes us sailing, and I asked if he has already put his boat away for the year. He said yes, but he was going sailing - he was on a paddleboard, and then he held up a little thing like a bright orange parachute, and he glided along. We came home and I ate the lotus seeds, and this time Travalon had a couple and decided they were not so bad when they are totally ripe. The thing is that one "shower head" contains about twenty seeds, but of those about five will be good. The rest have gone brown or never developed. I wonder if this is true of cultivated lotuses, or if it is because these were wild lotuses that didn't have people pampering them?

Then I went to the Duck Pond with my neighbor to watch the movie On the Basis of Sex. It's a Ruth Bader Ginsberg biopic, and it was stunning to see how much sexism she endured. When she was in law school, she had a baby daughter and her husband was sick with cancer (he survived), so she was going to his classes as well as hers. How did she do it? Some people must have a lot more energy than I do, because I could barely do my own schoolwork, never mind someone else's while taking care of a baby. I have RBG to thank for a lot of things, like having my own credit card. It's mind-blowing how recently women didn't have a lot of basic rights, and some people would like to take them away again. There's a movement afoot to take away women's right to vote. Some people say only one person in a household should vote, but if women can't, then what about Tiffy? She's a household of one. Of course, most of the people saying this are men, and I would hazard a guess that they are white men. I would think a valid argument could be made that, because white men had the right to vote for over a century before anyone else could, then maybe they should be the ones who lose the vote for the next hundred years, but I personally think that would be unfair to the current white men, since it's not their fault that previous white men didn't let other people vote. It's amazing to me that the current white men who want to take away everyone else's right to vote can't see that what they are proposing is manifestly unjust as well.


Famous Hat


No comments: