Thursday, September 17, 2020

Ripe Lotus Seeds

 

This evening Travalon and I took a lovely boat ride to Governor Nelson, then on the way back we stopped by the patch of lotuses in the river, and I picked one of those seed pods that look like shower heads. We had to row the boat into and out of the lotus patch, since it was too thick to use the motor back there. (This is why we didn't go into the marsh at all.) Once we had rowed far enough away from the lotus patch to safely start the motor again, I broke open the seed pod and tried a seed. My colleague who is originally from Shanghai said they are delicious raw, but she said the ones I collected last year, in early September, weren't ripe yet, so I thought maybe by now they would be. And they were! They were kind of nutty tasting. I gave one to Travalon, who didn't care for it, so I ate the rest of them. I have no idea what kind of nutritional value they have, but a lot of cultures value lotus seeds, so they must be pretty good for you.

Then I had a Zoom meeting with a "secret" club I am in where we look for wonder in our everyday lives, and when they asked if we had done anything wonderful today, I mentioned collecting the lotus seeds. They were all surprised and said, "You can eat those?" and I said, "I'm still alive, so apparently, yes." I also mentioned in the Chat about Travalon making videos of birds and how I set them to tropical music. The thing about this group is that we are already probably all people predisposed to look for wonder, so we can all appreciate each other's efforts, but the people who would really get the most out of it are the people who would never join because they see no use for wonder. Which is a shame, really. What is life without wonder? 


Famous Hat


No comments: