Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Celebration of Life at Olbrich Gardens

 

Today my commute to work was annoying because of such thoughtless people. One woman cut me off, and when I honked at her, she got out of her car and yelled something at me, but I didn't roll down my windows or turn off my music, so I have no idea what she said. Then on the bus the woman behind me opened the window above me, but it was still quite cold out (my car had frost on it!), so I said, "It's too cold!" and closed it, and she opened it again and said, "I have a right to fresh air!" I didn't want to escalate things, so I just froze for the rest of the trip. Why are people so self-centered?

This afternoon I went to a Celebration of Life at Olbrich Gardens (inside the building), which is apparently what non-religious people do in lieu of a funeral. I didn't know the young man who died, but I know his mother fairly well, and she seemed happy that I had come. I only really knew one other person there, so the two of us hung out. There was no minister, just relatives telling stories about the decedent, and then lots of really delicious food. Good thing I'd had an extremely light lunch! I'm used to religious funerals of matrons who lived a full, happy life and have dozens of descendants, and those are almost a joyous occasion. This was just so sad. I feel so bad for his poor mother. Keep her (and him!) in your prayers.

Here are a couple of photos of Michaela. In this one, you can see her shadow along with Uncle Travalon's.


Here she is meeting our neighbor Casey.


I tried to get a photo of her in front of this colorful bush by the side of the Nau-Ti-Gal, but she wouldn't sit still so I just took a photo of the bush.


And some more autumn foliage - the tree with the Killer Building in the background. I know I posted another photo of it, but it just looked so beautiful in the afternoon light that I had to post it again.


And here is some autumn foliage in Rochester. You can see Pa Hat walking among the colorful trees.


Today when I got home from the Celebration of Life, Michaela and I went for a walk, and we saw a train. I heard it, and we ran to see it, but we didn't get there in time to cross the road to the Nau-Ti-Gal parking lot. She didn't bark at it this time, and I realized from the vantage point of my side of the road, I could see it curving around to the west, so that was cool. Then about an hour later, she wanted to go for another walk. It was dark, and I saw that mysterious purple window across the river that always makes me unreasonably happy. We also stopped into my neighbor's house so I could say hello and goodbye to her between trips (she just got back from Europe and is headed to Florida), and Michaela was very interested in her cat's food. Maybe cat food tastes better than dog food? She's never that excited about her own food. My favorite is when she is very interested in whatever I am eating, but when I offer her some, she's all, "What?? You EAT that?? Gross!!" She turns up her nose at bananas and oatmeal with turmeric on it. She probably wonders why I don't eat something that actually tastes good - you know, like cat food.

All is right with the Camino again. This evening when I entered my mileage, it showed me entering a charming little Basque village. At least I'm guessing it's Basque, based on the streets signs. It really made me want to be there.


Famous Hat


No comments: