Monday, November 22, 2021

Mombert's Burial, Bucks Game, and Continuing Phone Saga

 

This is going to be a very long post because I haven't had a chance to blog for the last few days. Some of the photos will have to wait until tomorrow. Friday Travalon went to the state high school football Division 3 championship game, because Pewaukee was playing for their first ever title. And they won! In the evening I joined my Irish classmates at Cooper's Tavern, and we got to sit in the snug! It's so cute - it's a secret little room with a table for six, and there's a window the waitstaff can slide open to take your order and then hand you food and drinks. The party broke up pretty early, so I had plenty of time to get home for my weekly chat with Tiffy.

Saturday we drove to Fort Atkinson for Mombert's burial ceremony, then we had lunch at a local restaurant, and then several of us went for a hike on the Dorothy Carnes trails. Travalon hadn't brought his good camera, but he took some photos with his phone.





Then Travalon and I drove to Milwaukee for the Bucks game. We parked by the Cathedral, since there is free parking there in the evening and it's not too long of a walk, and the park in front of the Cathedral had a Christmas lights display.




We stopped at Brick's Pizza, where they had this hilarious sign:


This mural is outside of the Fiserv Forum. The Bucks pictured are Jrue Holiday, Pat Connaughton, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Brook Lopez, and Khris Middleton. For some reason Bobby Portis didn't make the cut, but he had an amazing game and scored 27 points.


Giannis had a double-double with 34 points and like 20 rebounds, but as Travalon said, "It's just another day at the office for him." (He got that from some color commentator.) At first the Bucks were twenty points ahead, but then they put the bench in, and Orlando was catching up, so at the end they put the starters back in and won by ten or so. I can't remember the final score. We had perfect seats, right at the top of the lower section so nobody was behind us. Unfortunately my new new iPhone had started doing what my old new iPhone had done, so I couldn't take pictures myself. 

Along the riverwalk there were more Christmas lights.



Yesterday there were donuts after Mass, and there was actually one of the type I will bother to eat, with chocolate frosting on top and custard inside - I think it's called a Bismarck. After that I wasn't hungry for brunch, so we went hiking at Patrick Marsh. Not too much going on there but a bunch of gulls. Travalon took some photos with his good camera, which I will upload tomorrow. We were taping the Packer game, but we listened to it in the radio, and it sounds like the refs were trying to get them to lose - every time something went their way, they got a penalty called on them. We went to the Apple store, where the tech erased everything off my new iPhone, then he uploaded my iPhone 6 to the iCloud, and then he restarted my new phone with a lot more room on it, so it didn't have that same issue. Now it seems to be working, but I never got the texts that might have come in the interim, so if I haven't responded to you, I'm (probably) not ignoring you. The tech did comment that I had a lot of photos on my old phone, but that is the main thing I use my phone for: a camera. 

In the evening Travalon and I went to the Overture Center to watch Fiddler on the Roof. You have to show proof of vaccination, and I put my vaccination card somewhere so safe that even I can't find it, but then I remembered taking a photo to upload at work. They were fine with the photo (which doesn't include my booster shot on All Saints' Day), so we got in, no problem. The play was excellent, and Travalon has been singing songs from it ever since, which is adorable. I love the music too, and the witty one-liners, and the dancing in this production was stunning. I highly recommend this musical. The story is kind of about a milkman whose daughters want to marry men he doesn't approve of, but it's also about how the Jews were driven out of Russia. It seems harsh, but afterwards Travalon and I were discussing it, and we realized the tailors forced to leave their little Russian villages came over here and then did very well for themselves. They fared a lot better than the Jews in Germany in the 1930's and 40's!


Fmous Hat


No comments: