Monday, November 8, 2021

Michaela vs. the Train in the Distance

 

Today my boss let me work from home so our houseguest wouldn't be home alone. Michaela wanted to take a walk every hour, which was great because it was so gorgeous out. When I got back from walking at noon, the connection to my work computer had gone kaput. I wasn't too worried, since it sometimes does that when I'm gone over lunch, but this time it wouldn't reconnect. Turns out there was a power outage at the Killer Building, so it was an excellent day to work remotely! My coworkers could technically leave the building, but then they couldn't get back in because the locks are electronic. The elevators wouldn't have worked, and the stairwell would have been in complete darkness. And then I heard the water stopped working too, so no bathrooms! My boss and one coworker gave up after a couple of hours and headed home, and then three minutes later the power came back on. A coworker who had stuck it out turned my work computer back on, so then I was able to log in remotely. I am really beginning to think that building isn't nearly as safe as they keep assuring us it is...

I was hoping to see a train today, since I was not only home but out and about a lot, and usually on Mondays there seem to be several trains that pass by. One did pass around nine, but I was inside at the time. Nothing at the noon hour, which is when they often pass by, and nothing at three, which is another time that they often pass by. Then just before five, when I was about to log out of my work computer, one passed by. I was sitting on the porch with Michaela when I heard the whistle, and I knew there would be no way to get out in time to see it. Besides, it was nearly dark by then. Michaela heard the train too, and she barked at it until it passed by completely. So that was pretty amusing.


Famous Hat


No comments: