Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas Eve on the Road

 

This morning Travalon and I got a free coffee and donut at Dunkin because we were staying at the Kahler Hotel. We chose Bismarcks with Christmas trees on them.


I don't spend much time at Dunkin, so I didn't realize they have donut-shaped lights.


Then we went to Ma and Pa Hat's house. A package came for Pa Hat, and he said it was a prize, but when I asked if it was a "major award," it turns out they have never seen A Christmas Story. What he actually won was a Russian nesting doll from an icon place. No leg lamp.


They have some... interesting shops in downtown Rochester.


And here's a building with train tracks running right through it!


We did stop at an antiques shop, then we took walks at a couple of very scenic rest stops. One overlooked a creek, but I cannot remember the name of the creek. It was a very foggy day, so we can only imagine the view on a clear day!


Another, right when we crossed back into Wisconsin, was on the banks of the Mississippi River.


It was a very foggy drive the whole way, but it got particularly bad just a few miles from home. We were so relieved to be back safe! We'd been planning to go to a Hawaiian party at a nearby tavern, but instead we walked in the neighborhood and looked at lights.



And of course we watched A Christmas Story. We also exchanged gifts. These are gifts to myself, a couple of rosaries I found at the antiques shop in Rochester. Travalon got himself a toy Sinclair oil truck.


I gave Travalon a book about the Beatles, a pub pass, and this stuffed snow leopard.


He gave me a book of Archie comics from the 40's, a sketchbook with a springhaas on the cover, and a springhaas stamp. He also gave me bluetooth headphones, which are great! I don't have to worry about getting tangled up in a cord while dancing around the house.


Here are some photos from our hike at Mill Bluff State Park yesterday. This first one is the "Christmas" tree on top of Bee Bluff.


This is Mill Bluff, the one we hiked around.


There is a cool stone shelter at the park.



And a cute little cabin - maybe you can rent this?


Here are a couple of shots of the pond in the park, where you can swim in warmer weather.



I love that round bluff you can see in the second photo. Apparently its official name is... wait for it... Round Bluff. Merry Christmas to all my readers!


Famous Hat

No comments: