Sunday, December 26, 2021

Tundra Swan Sunday

 

This morning Travalon and I had deja vu as we got up and went to Mass. Afterwards the woman who sometimes goes to brunch said, "You really have to get to know a person at a deeper level to understand them, but do you really give a sh-t?" I don't even know what inspired her to say that - it just seemed to come out of the blue - but Travalon and I thought it was hilarious. Later he said it sounded like something a character in a movie would say. 

Here is a photo of our church all decorated for Christmas.

The weather was almost as pleasant as yesterday, so we went for a hike on Governor's Island. The water level has really receded, and it exposed this beach made of small bivalve shells.


We walked along the crunchy beach, then we explored another trail we had never been on before, where we discovered this graffiti-covered structure.


As we continued along the island, we could see this view of the Capitol building.


This is a view of Warner Bay from Governor's Island.


Just as we were heading back to the parking lot, I thought I heard tundra swans. We drove over to Governor Nelson State Park and walked out onto the spit of land sticking out from the beach, and we could see a bunch of tundra swans in the distance. I thought they looked like they were near the trails on the other side of the road from the bluff near our neighborhood, but I thought we could get a clearer view of them from Jackson's Landing, so that's where we went next. When we went out to the viewing platform at the end of the boardwalk, we could see and hear the swans! Travalon took photos.



I could see the two dark birds in this next photo through the binoculars, but they puzzled me. Were they very large crows? But in the photo you can tell they are actually bald eagles. We did see a bald eagle flying along the highway on the way to Oconomowoc yesterday.


There were also some Canada geese among the swans.



This is a funny little island the swans were gathered around.


In the evening we watched the Packers game that had been on yesterday. Rich said he didn't think it was right that football was played on a holiday, so we didn't turn the game on at his house, but I did check the score now and then on my phone. With under two minutes left, Cleveland had narrowed the Packers' lead to two points, plus they were driving down the field, so I was terrified we would lose. Travalon found the game live on his phone, so we were covertly watching as everyone else chatted amiably around the dinner table... until Rasul Douglas got yet another interception (the man is a machine!), and I screamed, "Picked off!!!" I probably took two years off everyone's life, and five years off of Rich's life because he was sitting right next to me and heard it full force. Of course everyone stared at me, so I was kind of embarrassed, and then I heard that people felt Douglas should have been called for pass interference, so that makes me feel kind of bad. I want my team to win cleanly! When we watched the game today, I wasn't sure, because the receiver got handsy first, and last week when a similar thing happened, the refs called offensive pass interference on Adams (whose birthday was Friday), so maybe this time they just figured both guys were at fault, so why call anything? Or they could have called two penalties that offset each other. Also, I feel bad because the Browns desperately needed this win to stay in the playoff hunt, but the Packers didn't really need it. I guess it helps them have home field advantage. Anyway, the Packers got the ball back and won the game.


Famous Hat


No comments: