Thursday, March 25, 2010

Famous Hat Contest: Name My Office Mate!

Happy Annunciation, everyone, and to Semper Fi (who never reads this blog as far as I know), Happy Birthday! To celebrate the Solemnity of the Annunciation, I was going to go to Mass at Our Lady of Perpetual Sobriety this evening, but now I’m torn because Hardingfele told me about a Zumbathon to raise money for Haiti at Rockstar Tailor’s school. My regular readers know what a sucker I am for anything to do with Haiti (I had to special-order my sponsor kid from there because the priest only had kids from Latin America and India with him), and Zumba is done to Latin music, another great love of mine. (Of course, if they were going to be really authentic, maybe we are going to shake our tailfeathers to zouk instead of salsa. A Zoukathon! And I wouldn’t have a problem with that.)

Shout out to Astrochick, who commented on my “Helicopter Moms” post. I see you have started your own blog, http://astrochickwonders.blogspot.com/ - mad props to you, girlfriend! (I commented but it isn’t showing up yet.)


Because you know how I love to scan things, I had to scan this silly little shamrock from a work meeting. Each person got a shamrock with a supposedly authentic Irish saying on it. I have never heard “There is luck in sharing a thing,” and I don’t know if they mean sharing troubles, or like the good karma you get from sharing time, money, etc. As far as pithy sayings go, it’s hard to beat this Italian proverb: “When you’re too close to the rocks, pray to God… but pull on the oars!” I never really think of the Irish as pithy, at least if my dear, departed grandfather was typical. When you’re a little kid and just want to eat dinner, those toasts seem to go on for days! He usually made his up as he went along, and they were generally quite maudlin, but there are some really great traditional Irish toasts. My favorite is probably: “Here’s to your enemies – may God turn their hearts. And if He can’t turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so you’ll know them by their limping.” (Or, “So they can’t catch you.”)

Anyway, in honor of the Annunciation, I am having a contest: Name My Office Mate! She doesn’t read my blog (that I know of) but I was going to mention that this morning I didn’t feel like working, I just felt like singing old spirituals, so she was singing them too, and then she got to thinking that she would like a gospel choir at her wedding in the fall. I was going to mention this right here on this very blog, but then I realized I don’t have a good name for her. I could call her Banjo Player 2 to differentiate her from Banjo Player, but it seems like there must be a better name for her. Leave a comment with a clever name for my office mate, and you might win one of the following fabulous prizes:

  • A shout-out on my blog
  • A shamrock with a pithy Irish saying on it
  • A cardboard village

Here’s a little information to get you started: my office mate plays the banjo. She is tall (or at least taller than I am, but that’s not saying much) and very thin with dark brown hair and light brown eyes. Yesterday she said to me, “I can’t find the ID number on this printer!” and I said, “That’s because it’s a fax machine.” That should be enough to fire your imaginations!

Famous Hat

6 comments:

Catherine Arnott Smith said...

You mean somebody else out there plays the banjo?

My favorite Irish proverb is something said by a native-born Irish historical figure whom I was researching years ago. Curious people can ask me who he was and I will tell them, but for the moment, suffice to say he was mostly historically known for being the **father** of a famous devout Roman Catholic jurist, member of the Supreme Court, frequently spoken of as being the first serious Roman Catholic contender for the presidency -- only not serious enough because he never actually made it very far in that department. (But at least they talked about it.)

He reported to one biographer that his father said to him of the Church: "Keep close to the faith, but stay away from the organization." These were words he kept with him all his life. Make of this what you will.

Famous Hat said...

Sorry, entries must be in the form of a nickname.

Hardingfele and Plysj said...

how about Vegas finger picker

Famous Hat said...

Please! Let's keep it G-rated!

Richard Bonomo said...

How about "Sunshine?"

Famous Hat said...

Kathbert suggested "Light Bright." Toque McToque suggested "Squirrely Girl." (That has to do with the dogs in the movie Up.)

WV: unburi - what I would love to do to some treasure