Friday, March 19, 2010

Happy St. Joseph's Day!

Did you remember to wear red today? Remember, on St. Joseph’s Day, everyone is a little bit Italian, and it is my goal in life to see Richard Bonomo’s heritage made as cheesy as mine. My dream is that someday you will see flocks of people in the St. Joseph’s Day parade with little to no Italian heritage, wearing plastic meatballs on their heads and buttons that say “Kiss me, I’m Italian!” They will stick an “-ino” on the end of their surnames and go around joking about how the “Jonesino” and “Smithino” families are so very Italian, and how they are sure they had a great-grandmother on their father’s side who is from Naples, or at least visited there. And they will drink red wine… wait, that’s not cheesy. Never mind.

While I was lying in bed sick the day that the O’Joneses and O’Smiths wore green and drank green beer while wearing plastic shamrocks on their heads, Hardingfele was celebrating her lack of Irish heritage by playing hardinger fiddle for elementary school kids. Now Hardingfele is an excellent example of someone who doesn’t let genes dictate her heritage: she was born a Russian Jew but is now a proud Norski! You go, girlski!

Here, in her own words on MyFace, is how it all went down:

Hardingfele: So I get to present Norway for St. Patty's day at a school program, but trolls are still a hit. Call me stupid, but I cut up wax earplugs and now I cannot hear well because they are stuck in the ear canal. I am too embarrassed to go to the doc and explain this mishap

Friend #1: Don't be. They've seen it all, and worse... :)

Hardingfele: I am hoping it will eventually melt or something. I managed to mangle both ears. But then being slightly hard of hearing may not be so bad. At least I can genuinely say that I did not hear that whiny request.....

Friend #2: if you can't get it out it's ER time..

Hardingfele: Doc said come to urgent care ASAP. This is why health reform will get bogged down, skyrocketing costs by twits like me :-)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardingfele: Nurse pulled out a little fingernail size of silicon earplug out of each ear. Note to self, dont do something this moronic again.

Friend #3: at least the metal flagpoles are not frozen anymore, so you should be safe from that at least!!!

Hardingfele: Right!

Friend #2: I triple dog dare ya!

Friend #2: her name wasn't Nurse Jan...was it?

Hardingfele: Nope, Teri or Carrie


Me again. Isn't it interesting that Hardingfele has to wear earplugs while playing the hardinger fiddle? Is it really that loud? I love love love the Christmas Story references from her friends! Wish there was a way to work The Princess Bride in there too! Maybe something about iocane?

Famous Hatino

1 comment:

Hardingfele and Plysj said...

I am so flattered that my stupidity is now on facebook and on your blog