Monday, March 15, 2010

More Irish than a Man in a Giant Hamster Wheel

Yesterday was the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, since everyone knows Catholics always move holidays to the nearest Sunday. It was a glorious day, and Anna Banana II and I enjoyed the parade thoroughly, but I forgot my new camera (duh!) so I do not have any pictures or movies to post. Among the many things going on in the parade that had little to nothing to do with St. Patrick were the following:

  • A man riding an old-fashioned penny farthing bicycle
  • The Tibetan Cultural group
  • A Mardi Gras float that even said “Krewe”
  • Not one but two Elvis impersonators
  • A rock band dressed like giant pink rabbits
  • A man rolling down the street in a giant hamster wheel

I counted at least three Saint Patricks, one on stilts. Three must be my lucky number (after all, I was born on the 3rd), since I caught three strands of beads: one for A-Fooze (who had requested beads), one for the little girl next to us who had cerebral palsy, and one to add to my ever-expanding collection. I also collected some candy for the girl, since she was in a wheel chair and could never compete with all the other children who were running around and grabbing it.

I did enjoy all the groups of pipers and drummers, and the little girls in their curly wigs doing traditional Irish dances, and the dogs dressed in tartans and little green hats. (Not sure if the dogs enjoyed it themselves!) I said to Anna Banana II that next year Our Lady of Perpetual Sobriety should have a float in the parade, and we could toss rosaries to the people along the route. So how about it, faithful readers? Who wants to be in the parade next year? I won’t even insist that we roll down the street in giant hamster wheels.

Famous Hat

No comments: