Saturday, March 27, 2010

Immaculate Convention: Church Cleaners Assemble

Today a bunch of us gathered at Our Lady of Perpetual Sobriety to clean it in preparation for Easter next week. Richard Bonomo forgot his camera, so he asked me to bring mine. The following pictures were either taken by him or by me. I started out vacuuming, but that proved to be quite an adventure. First I was using a vacuum so old that they must have gotten it out of King Tut's tomb, and it weighed a ton. I imagined myself as a 1950's housewife as I shoved it around, but it wasn't working very well so I asked Rich if I had it on the wrong setting. He discovered that it no longer had a belt, so he hooked me up to the Jetson vacuum, but just then someone brought a much nicer vacuum and I used that. Then I cleaned the pews using a rag and a bucket, and that was even more satisfying. I could imagine people have been doing the same thing for almost two thousand years when preparing for Easter, from the largest cathedrals to the tiniest, most beloved local parishes. I could have been cleaning a church in 1010 using a bucket, a rag, and the 11th century equivalent of Murphy's Wood Soap. (They probably did not have rubber gloves, though.) Other people had the unenviable task of scraping used chewing gum from under the pews. I know, right? Who's chewing gum in church? (Not me, I can promise you that!)


OLPS: a super ultra crazy beautiful church

Even the windows are beautiful

Candlesticks: before and after cleaning


Changing lightbulbs on high



Getting the dirt out of the confessional

Even people who wear famous hats can scrub pews

Even priests can mop floors

Cleaning the choir loft

Dusting the Stations of the Cross

Vacuuming with the Jetsons vacuum

Famous Hat

No comments: