Friday, March 26, 2010

Me and My Peeps

Fortuitously, this year we have a "mandatory furlough day" falling on Good Friday. Toque McToque mentioned that it was lucky I didn't have to beg to take the day off (since the Good Friday Service at Our Lady of Perpetual Sobriety is at noon), and I said, "Me and my peeps are really happy about the way it all worked out." She said she hadn't realized marshmallows went to church, and I said that while 90% of marshmallows believe in a Great Marshmallow, only 30% regularly go to church. Is this worth blogging about? Probably just as much as the fact that Richard Bonomo just told me tomorrow's first reading is from Ezekiel, and whenever I say, "Man, Ezekiel rocks! I LOVE Ezekiel!" he says, "You just like the wheel angels." Which is true, but they're in Daniel too. However, my favorite part of Daniel is the story about Susannah and the two dirty old men who got theirs in the end courtesy of Daniel.

OK, so maybe I shouldn't drink and blog, but I've only had one Guinness. Anyway, here is a sober story to sober us all up: a few years back, a crazy man burned down our cathedral. So now Our Lady of Perpetual Sobriety and another church (let's call it St. Adelbert's) got merged into the "Cathedral Parish." (If that sounds ominous, that's because it is.) So now all the Triduum services - except for Good Friday - will be in Spanish at OLPS because they want all us gabachos to go to St. Ad's. It didn't work last year, when Rich, A-Fooze, and I went to OLPS for Maundy Thursday and the Vigil. (El Fiance was there too, but Spanish is his first language, after all.) So this year A-Fooze is in Toronto, Rich says he is going to OLPS in Spanish, Cecil Markovitch says he is going to St. Ad's, and I'm trying to decide what to do. Here are my options, as I see it:

1. OLPS - it's my parish, no matter what language Mass is in
2. St. Ad's - and hang out with the bish? NO
3. The OTHER church, which is Lutheran, so that just feels wrong, but the choir would love it if I would be there
4. One of the two Eastern Orthodox churches in town because Cecil says their Easter is the same as ours this year

So what do my peeps say? I've got marshmallow pals planning to go all over town: OLPS, St. Ad's, the Lutheran church... I don't have any peeps at the Orthodox churches, but that Byzantine liturgy? *Swoon*

OK, peeps! Leave me some messages! Where should I spend my Triduum?

Famous Hat


1 comment:

Richard Bonomo said...

For the Triduum? I say, there is no place like home, even if its not in one's own language or in Spanish...