Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy Vernal Equinox!

Remember when Rich and I went to Jerkns in my neighborhood? I'm not saying it's a chain, but across town there is a Jerkins, as you can see from this photo I took from my car. Coincidence??


Here is a picture I took of my Celtic cross blanket as I lay beneath it on St. Patrick's Day, suffering from a terrible cold.

Friday night Anna Banana II made a delicious St. Joseph's Day dinner for Rich, Kathbert, and me of cassoulet and a chocolate mint marscapone pie. Yum! Then Anna Banana II's roommate Jilly Moose came home from her job moonlighting at a card store. We had already had a bizarre conversation about Kathbert's job taking care of a robot, and how she had to take his head off to do some repairs to his insides, but things got truly surreal when Jilly Moose told us the card store now sells frogs. Yes, frogs. She said you get two frogs in an "ecoquarium" with spring water, colored rocks, and a stick of bamboo for $25. The frogs are guaranteed to both be males, so you won't have to worry about tadpoles, and they only eat on Tuesday and Saturday. I asked what they ate and she said little pellets, which Kathbert posited were compressed flies. We were all mind-boggled that the card store sells frogs, since it is more known for selling cards and things that smell good, so we wondered if they were potpourri frogs. And, I mean, if you were going to buy yourself a frog, would you really think to go to a card store to buy one?

Yesterday Richard Bonomo, Cecil Markovitch, Anna Banana II, the still-single B-Boy, Jilly Moose, and three Capricorns (one from Trinidad, one from Oklahoma, and I) went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at a museum in the nearest big city, then we went to a Mideastern restaurant where I drank four glasses of rose water lemonade - free refills. Cecil asked the waitress if there were free refills on vodka martinis, and I asked if they had decaf Arabic coffee, but surprisingly the answer to both questions was a "What?? NO!" We ladies were all in favor of smoking a hookah, but the men weren't, and they were the ones driving so they got to decide. I drove back home with Cecil and the Trinidadian Capricorn; we prayed a rosary and then listened to Robert Johnson wailing about walking beside the devil. When we got back home, Cecil gave me the purple-tinted Christmas cactus he didn't want anymore. Here is a picture of it with my other Christmas cacti, which are blooming.


Here is a more close-up shot of the three blooming cacti.


Today we sang a gorgeous piece by Schein in the OTHER church choir, then Kathbert, Rich, and I went for a walk in the woods to celebrate the vernal equinox/JS Bach's birthday. Here are some pictures from our adventure.

Famous Hat in the Sun

Skunk Cabbages



We hiked for quite awhile, until Kathbert said she was hungry and I had to, you know, powder my nose. Why is it always when you have to go that everything looks like a toilet?


Famous Hat

No comments: