Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Work Is Work


Today my office mate Light Bright sighed, “This is so much work!” I asked her what was so much work, and she said, “All this work!” I said, “So let me get this straight – you’re saying work is work?” How profound is that? I do know people (looking at you, Richard Bonomo) who claim to love their jobs, but for most of us, work IS work. We wouldn’t come every day unless we were getting paid for it. If you are one of those people who would do what you do even if you weren’t getting paid, we all envy you and would like to know, how can we get the same deal?

Famous Hat

4 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...

Work is work for me as well, but work is not necessarily unpleasant. Some work tasks can be enjoyed either in the doing, or in the satisfaction of accomplishment. Others cannot be enjoyed at all because they are a mandated waste of time.

Famous Hat said...

I think what makes work unpleasant for Light Bright and me isn't the tasks so much as the tools, by which I mean the faculty.

Hardingfele said...

And then there are people like me who do work as in cat work for free, which is beyond all rationality

Famous Hat said...

Nothing wrong about volunteering, as long as you don't do it during paid work!