Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Two Drunk People


This weekend Travalon and I went on a road trip up north to visit some more taverns in the book. We drove up through the Menomonee Reservation and stopped by Shoe Pond, a beautiful lake full of islands, where we hiked with Rodney on an island. Suddenly it began to rain really hard, so we got soaked. My khakis were already dirty from the trail, and then I set my waterlogged Famous Hat on my lap, and it left purple marks on the khakis from its stripes. We crossed the border into the Upper Peninsula and stopped at a K-Mart to get some new khakis for me, as well as a swimsuit since I forgot mine at home. They didn’t have much in the way of selection, so I had to get a two-piece, which seems ridiculous for a woman my age. We stopped at a brew pub for dinner and then hit two taverns from the book. The first one was called the Barn and was indeed in an old barn. Travalon took a photo of their clever sign, which I will try to post at some point. It said something along the lines of: "Come sit, relax and drink/where the cows used to stink." The second one was not that memorable of a building, but a very drunk woman there decided I was her new best friend and insisted on coming into the bathroom with me and giving me her necklace. I asked if she was a Pisces, and she was. There was a birthday party going on there, and she kept bringing Travalon and me cups of cheap beer from the keg. Eventually we left, much to her chagrin (she wanted us to sleep on her porch), and went to our hotel outside of Green Bay. I got into my new swimsuit but felt it was immodest, so I wore one of Travalon’s T-shirts over it. We both hit the pool, but he went back to check on Rodney, and then a guy half my age came in and hit on me. He was quite inebriated. I said I was married, so he went to sit in the hot tub, where he looked ready to pass out. I asked Travalon to check on him once I returned to our hotel room, and he was indeed passed out, but thankfully by the side of the pool so he didn’t drown. Travalon told the front desk lady, and some friend or relation of his came to collect him.

That was Saturday. I will post about Sunday tomorrow and Monday the day after that, since it was such an eventful weekend, it would never fit into just one post.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Travalon said...

-Its easy to encounter lots of goofy people in rural northern taverns and hotels on holiday weekends.

- What about Seymour, home of the first hamburger?

- The park with the island is called Chute Pond. Very beautiful place.

Travalon said...

-The brew pub in Marinette where we had dinner was called the Rail House, very good craft beer, but sub-par food. Especially Famous Hat's broiled Whitefish dinner.

- The second tavern, located in Oconto where you met the Pisces woman was called the Log Jam. I need to read what makes it so historic and unique deserving of a place in the "Bottoms Up" book.

-We have now visited 42 taverns in the book. Less than 30 to go.