Monday, October 19, 2015

Blue Mound State Park and Fisher King Winery


I hope my readers had a good weekend. Friday evening Travalon went to a high school football game, so I hung out with Rich and Kathbert, and they helped me get the photos from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro "Boethius," so I was able to put them on my previous post. Saturday morning Travalon had to work, so I met with the other Rosary Ladies (Luxuli, Jilly Moose, and OK Cap) at La Baguette for some coffee and breakfast. Luxuli noted that we were having a “French month,” since we had gone to Chez Nanou the weekend before. Then she and OK Cap went to the corn maze that I will be going to with Tiffy next weekend, Jilly Moose went to a tailgate party, and I went hiking with Travalon and Rodney at Blue Mound State Park. According to my iPhone, we went up the equivalent of six flights of stairs, which isn’t bad for an afternoon hike but is nothing like last Wednesday. Afterwards we went to Fisher King Winery in downtown Mount Horeb and tried a flight of their wine. We liked the port so much we bought a bottle of it. I would encourage all my readers to check this place out – it is very charming, and the wine is wonderful. We ended the evening at David’s Jamaican, the restaurant that catered our wedding, and then went home and watched the Cubs lose to the Mets.

Yesterday Travalon and I took Rodney for a hike in a “state natural area,” which was a strip of land between two farms. We had hoped it would lead us down to the Yahara River, but it was a really wild hike (“I feel like we’re bushwhacking,” said Travalon), and then the trail – or what there was of one – ended completely, and before us was marsh. We turned around and headed back, then we drove to Cherokee Park, from which you can get a wonderful view of the river. I remember hiking with Rich and Kathbert on a boardwalk in the marsh, but we couldn’t find that part of the park before we had to head home to watch the Packers just barely beat the Chargers in the last couple seconds of the game. Whew! The Pack is still undefeated this year, but unfortunately the Cubbies are losing their series so far in the playoffs. Not that my cousin out east is disappointed – she posted a thing on MyFace that said: “Keep calm and GO METS!” But that’s the other side of the family – I’m genetically a Cubs fan on Ma Hat’s side. Travalon had been intrigued by my description of Chez Nanou as a cozy little French bistro, so we went there for a very romantic dinner and had an extremely personable waiter. It was a wonderful end to another delightful weekend.

Famous Hat

No comments: