Friday, October 9, 2015

Watching Soap


Travalon wanted me to blog about this, so I will attempt to stretch it into an entire post: I said earlier this week that I was curious about that classic sitcom Soap, which I had never seen, and of course Travalon owns like the first four seasons on DVD. We have been watching maybe three episodes a day for the last few days, and I have to say this show is hilarious. It is from the mid-70’s but oddly doesn’t feel that dated, although I do love some of the outfits people wear. However, the way the people act and the problems they come up against are so over the top that it really feels like it could be happening now. How to describe what the show is about? It is a spoof of soap operas, so the main characters are always having problems like the mother and daughter having an affair with the same guy, or a guy who will be killed by the Mob if he doesn’t kill his own stepfather first, or his brother who wants to have a sex-change operation to marry his gay lover, but changes his mind when the guy leaves him for an actual woman. Anyway, I don’t want to give too much away so you’ll just have to watch it yourselves.

The only other thing I have to say is that when we went to the Fox and Hounds restaurant and I had to use the restroom, I was dismayed by their cutesy labeling. I’ve seen nautical restaurants that label the restrooms “buoys” and “gulls,” but most native speakers of English can figure that out. When Tiffy and I went to a Thai restaurant this past Saturday, the restrooms were helpfully labeled in English, Thai, and with pictures of a man and a woman, in case you didn’t know either language. But at the Fox and Hounds, the restrooms were labeled – you guessed it – “foxes” and “hounds.” I stood there for a moment, thinking that women are often referred to as foxes, while there is nothing feminine implied in the word “hound,” but then both foxes and hounds come in male and female. I did brave the room labeled “foxes” and appeared to have guessed right, judging by the lack of male facilities contained therein. Still, it was a lot more stressful than it needed to be. At least put a sexy fox with long eyelashes on the door to give us something of a hint! 

Famous Hat

No comments: