Thursday, April 29, 2021

Blacklight Cityscape Realized

 

Some years ago I painted a cityscape with the Monona Terrace at night, but I didn't remember that the windows are arches, so I made them square.


I gave that painting to Ma and Pa Hat. This evening I attempted to paint a replica with my paints that glow under blacklight, and it turned out kind of meh.


But under the blacklight? It's spectacular!


And then I used the little creatures I had made for my secret club homework to populate the cityscape. Here the two penguins are hanging out on the rooftop of the Monona Terrace with the bird loosely inspired by our neighborhood cranes.


But the beauty is that I can move them around and put them in different places.



I read an article the other day about how, with all the weirdness of the pandemic, a lot of people are not completely depressed, but they are not doing well, either - they are languishing. The author said the best way to break out of this state is to get into a state of "flow," which is something that takes all your attention. She suggested art, so here I was getting into a state of flow. Though I'd have to say the most flow I've ever felt is when I'm doing something physical, like canoeing, that takes effort but is fun. Then you're really living in the moment.


Famous Hat


1 comment:

Jilly Moose said...

Love the black light picture.