Thursday, April 8, 2021

Our New Neighbor?

 

This morning before work Travalon and I went down to the dock, and the buffleheads were there again, but we startled a large white bird that flew away into a tree. I realized it was an egret! If you look closely, you can see the long breeding plumage hanging from its wings.




And here is a goose swimming away really fast. The geese didn't seem to like the egret - one flew at it and tried to chase it away.


Here is a red-winged blackbird and his wife.



This is the crane sitting on her nest. Today some more people were looking at her, but they were a respectful distance away, so it didn't really bother me. After all, we look at her all the time ourselves from a respectful distance.


I made Travalon take these pictures. Remember the beautiful willow across the river that was covered with rime? Now it's a striking chartreuse. 



When we went out at ten for my morning break, we startled the egret again, and it flew away and landed close to where the crane is nesting.



When I checked back at lunchtime with my neighbor, we saw the egret flying around, and then it flew away to the west. I didn't see it at three or again after work, so maybe it was just visiting for the morning, or maybe it will be back tomorrow. Maybe I scared it off by constantly going out onto the dock... but I am hoping it will move into the neighborhood and be our newest neighbor.


Famous Hat

No comments: