Saturday, April 17, 2021

(Late) Birthday Dinner at the Hobnob

 

Sorry that I haven't blogged in several days. Thursday I had to leave right from work and drive two hours to Tiffy's house. She was having a procedure the next day, and I thought she might be out of commission while prepping for it, but she was mostly fine. We watched a movie from 1930 called King of Jazz, but I would have called it Dafuq? It didn't have much jazz in it, or a plot, but it did have lots of flappers. It was very, very weird. 

Friday morning I had to take Tiffy to her procedure bright and early, then I took a walk at a park. I had thought she might be sleepy or loopy afterwards, but she was fine, so we had lunch at a Mexican restaurant and then took a walk in her neighborhood. In the evening we went to a fancy supper club called the Hobnob for my much-delayed birthday dinner. There was an hour wait, but Tiffy didn't mind because she wanted to get one of their famous ice cream drinks, even though she wasn't supposed to drink for twenty-four hours after the anesthesia. The bartender sighed when we ordered two drinks, and he made one and set it in front of me. "How about splitting it?" he suggested. It was about a foot tall, so I said that was a good idea. We split it, and it was perfect... but then the bartender brought a second ice cream drink that he said had been a mistake, so we split that too. By the time we were ready for dinner, I wasn't hungry and brought most of it home. I took some photos to show Travalon, and he instantly knew where we were - he hasn't been there himself, but he said it's famous.



Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the ice cream drinks. The bar overlooks the lake, and it was light when we first got there so we got to enjoy the view. Also, there was a live band playing, a three-piece jazz combo, so that was lovely.

This morning I woke up with a terrible headache, so perhaps drinking two half ice cream drinks was inadvisable. Tiffy was just fine, despite drinking too soon after anesthesia, so Rich said I was a good friend and took on her headache for her. I guess it was a hangover...? After some coffee and breakfast, I felt better, so we went for a walk at a park called Petrifying Springs. Tiffy couldn't remember the name of this creek that ran through it. (I never saw the springs.)




My selfie game is so weak that finally Tiffy had to do it for me.


Then I drove back home, toward a gorgeous sunset. No photos of that, because I was driving, but here are some photos of flowers in our neighborhood.




And this rock made me laugh because it appears to have two eyes and a smiling mouth.


Truthfully, I had been scared to drive to Tiffy's and back, because I rarely drive since the pandemic began, and never on a highway. But I put a CD of Cuban music on, and that gave me the courage to do it. You can do anything when you're listening to Cuban rhythms!


Famous Hat


No comments: