Saturday, August 13, 2022

Artisanal Water Disks

 

Yesterday was an unseasonably cool day. I worked until noon, then I met Tiffy downtown and we went to the Italian restaurant where we usually go for brunch after Mass. We walked down to the Union, then we walked back up State Street, but neither walk counted for my workout of at least fifteen minutes of moving, so I never got one yesterday. (I also only prayed 3/5 of a rosary and got 4.81 miles so fails all around.) We had dinner at Himal Chuli, then we went to the outdoor theater and met the Dairyman's Daughter and the Single B-Boy to watch Shakespeare's Loves Labors Lost, which was hilarious. I think it is the funniest play by him that I have seen. These four college-age guys decide for some reason that for three years they will give up women, sleep three hours a night, and eat one meal a day as they dedicate their lives to studying. Then four young women come to visit, and hilarity ensues. Here are some photos. First, the stage. I love the fake wisteria.


At intermission, everyone was taking photos of the full Sturgeon Moon peeking out of the clouds. Mine didn't turn out that well, but you get the idea. It was gorgeous.


And the lit-up trees behind the stage looked so spooky!


If anything, the stage was even prettier after nightfall.


Today Travalon and I met Tiffy, her niece, and her niece's boyfriend to go to the Farmer's Market (since it is National Farmer's Market Week), then Travalon, Tiffy, and I went to Parthenon Gyros and ate in the rooftop garden. If you tip them (like we did), they all yell, "Opa!" I loved this wall with the word "opa" in all sorts of fonts and colors. Even one with the O as an evil eye protection!


Travalon left to go to a blues festival with his buddy, while Tiffy and I joined the Daughter of Denni's birthday celebrations. Longtime readers may remember that in years past I joined in the biking from bar to bar, but today we just drove to the Laurel Tavern to join the others. I had a very potent chocolate and peanut butter porter, so then I was too buzzed to drive to the next place. Fortunately it was a mile down the road, so Tiffy and I just walked there, stopping along the way to get Infusion Chocolates. (I got a key lime bonbon and a coconut rum one, so definitely a tropical theme despite the cooler temperatures today,) I was overjoyed to find a nonalcoholic dragonfruit sour by Untitled Art, and it really did taste like dragonfruit! It was bright pink, which delighted everyone. When the others headed to their next stop, Tiffy and I went to the Mexican restaurant near Rich's house, and he soon joined us. We were so entertained by this random Brooklyn bar menu generator. Free-range plums are pretty good, but our favorites were water puree and artisanal water disks. (Ice cubes?) Then we started sending each other autogenerated texts. In theory your phone will suggest words you use a lot. See if you can detect a pattern in Rich's text. It's subtle, but it's there if you look for it. The prompt was "Because I am a [sign of the zodiac]..."

My text: "Because I am a Capricorn and a good person I feel kind of slighted but I'm not really getting into it."

Tiffy's text: "Because I am a Virgo fan of the world and I'm not sure what I would prefer."

Rich's text: "Being an Aquarius, I am not sure if I can do anything for you or not but I am guessing you are going to be able to join us for church tonight at church church tomorrow at church church pastor church church at church church."

We split a piece of tres leches cake and a piece of flan on top of chocolate cake in honor of the birthday of the Daughter of Denni, even though she wasn't there. Then Tiffy headed home, so I hung out at Rich's house for a bit and did Night Prayer from there. Now I'm home and blogging, and Travalon just got home too, so it must be time to wrap things up.


Famous Hat


No comments: