Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Sunset Boat Ride and Lotus Moonrise

 

Last night Travalon and I played tennis, and one of his returns hit our can of balls sitting on the bench on the tennis court (for people who want to watch us play?), and the other balls spilled out. I picked up one of the balls, and we decided to play with that one instead. Honestly, we should probably get new balls, but if we rotate which ones we play with, none of them gets worn out as fast.

Today at work we met the person who might be our new boss, then in the evening Travalon brought Chinese food home for dinner (I always get the shrimp lo mein, so that's what he ordered for me), and my fortune cookie said to make memories to share with others. In that spirit, we took a sunset boat ride out to see the lotus blossoms. I wasn't sure how much longer they would be blooming, but a lot of them are still buds so apparently I had more time than I thought. They smell so lovely! Here are photos of the sunset, including zoomed in photos of the same scenes.







Then the moon rose over the lotus blossoms.


What a wonderful boat ride! I needed that, after my weird day yesterday. Then I did DuoLingo, and it informed me that I had learned two thousand words in a single course.


I assume it means French, since I had long since completed the Irish course, but it kept telling me I was only 75% of the way to learning the whole course. You can imagine my frustration, since there didn't seem to be any secret stash of more Irish words to learn, but on social media people were saying that the Irish DuoLingo course just doesn't have 2000 words, so you can never get this award unless you join another language course. And then what, two weeks of French, and I already have won it for that course? Sorry, Duo, but I didn't learn the words from you - I pretty much know everything you throw at me. I guess I did retain most of my French from back in the days when I thought I would major in it. But then I thought, what will I do with a degree in French? Is that practical? So I majored in Linguistics, and now I'm a low-level civil servant and a semi-professional musician making tens of dollars playing in public. Which reminds me - we have a gig tomorrow, so if you happen to be on State Street near the brat place between five and six tomorrow evening, check us out. We'll be playing in that little plaza there.


Famous Hat


No comments: